Y&R June 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's some of Joshua Morrow's greatest work. He's showing a bunch of different layers. That look that he gave, one that was a combination of feeling nothingness for Victor and contempt for a father he loved, admired so dearly. Walk-off grand slam!

• Members

I am again needing to catch up, but has Jack now been made a Chancellor? That would/could be a fun twist. I hate the thought of him taking the company from Jill, which he'd likely do and Y&R already has an issue with allowing women to be in power, but it's at least in keeping with Dina's past connections. I wish they'd bring Thom Bierdz back if they do go the "Jack takes Chancellor" route since Phillip would have at least as much right to it. But I doubt they will. 

• Members

Jill could fight for him, then it would be Jack vs Jill. But I don't get how Jack thinks he's owned a stake in it.

I understand how Jill got half of Fenmores. Neal left it to his offspring, and Jill turned up as one of his offspring later on. But Kay didn't leave it Phillip's offspring, she left it to Victor. Then Jill bought it from Victor. Why would Jill be obligated to give Jack any of it even if he is Phillip's heir? Wouldn't Jack's beef be with Katherine's will?

• Members

Maybe they could recast or say he wants Jill to have anything he's entitled to regarding the Chancellor fortune. The character seems to be written as rejecting wealth or whatever. It would be nice if Nina returned to demand Chance's stake be protected.

Neither do I. The show has been inconsistent with how Chancellor was even formed. I could swear at least once, way in the past, they mentioned it was originally Reynolds Industries. If Jack and Kyle bully their way into that, or especially the house, it will just be more disregard for backstory. I think he might try and argue it was never Katherine's to give since Philip didn't know he existed or some thin excuse like that. I sadly have no faith in the writing team to follow logic or established history.  

• Members

I think Jack will be found to be an Abbott in the end, and the  goal of this plot is make sure Chancellor Industries is no longer owned by a woman. Mal floated the whole idea at Christmas last year. Remember when Jill all the sudden, for no reason, wanted to sell Chancellor to Jack and give the proceeds to charity? 

Please register in order to view this content

If you haven't noticed Mal has been either getting rid of, or keeping powerful females characters off screen, or weakening them.

1. Victoria- failed on her own, and had to sell Brash & Sassy to be at daddy's beck and call at Newman.

2. Hillary- Had to sell to GC Buzz to have a baby, and be at the mercy of what Devon wants.

3. Lauren- had to sell half her company to Jack/Jabot. She is kept off-screen while Fenmores is run out of Jabot, making it appear that she doesn't run it.

4. Chelsea- She used to have her own company & set- gone.

5. Phyllis-used to be an independent woman with an agenda to fulfill. Now she is a male fantasy ( Mal's fantasy?), a woman who is ready and super enthusiastic about having sex with her man 24/7, all over the place.

6. Lily- Has to work under Devon & Neil. They gave her her "own company" by putting her desk in the their mosh pit/office. 

7. Ashley- She had an office & more power at Jabot, but she's sent over to Newman to be toyed with by Victor.

8. Dina- She owned her own corporation. But not one storyline as a strong, in charge, business woman. We saw nothing of the Dina we once knew. Her first scene was selling her corporation to Neil & Devon. Now she's shown helpless & deteriorating, and it's written as funny sometimes.

9. Summer- she returned, but Mal removed her brain. Looks like she be male fantasy number 2, but younger.

10. Jill- bought and ran Chancellor offscreen, but Mal immediately changes it to have Cane run it. Now it looks like he's ready for step two.

Did I forget anyone?

Seems to me Mal has structured the characters by grouping the women under the 4/5 wealthy powerful men. Each have their harem to deal with & they switch them out here and there.

Victor- Nikki, Victoria, Sharon, Ashley, Abby, 1/2 Summer

Billy/Jack- Phyllis, Lauren,  1/2 Summer, Gloria

Neil/Devon- Hillary, Mariah, Tessa, Lily

There are no bad girls, or vixens anymore. Mal can't bring himself to write women getting anything over on the guys.

• Members

At least it's not Jack Miller LOL

So putting together established history and rewrites, we get this timeline w/ the Abbotts and connected families:

1951: Dina is married to John Abbott. Katherine is married to Gary Reynolds. Phillip Chancellor II and Neil Fenmore are single. I'm guessing Brock is an infant around this time. Dina becomes involved with Phillip, resulting in Jack.

1952: Jack is born.

1956: Katherine and Gary separate. Katherine becomes involved with Arthur Hendricks, resulting in Tucker. Neil Fenmore becomes involved with an unknown woman, resulting in Jill.

1957: Tucker is born and is adopted by the McCalls. Jill is born and adopted by the Fosters.

1958: Dina becomes involved with Brent Davis, resulting in Ashley.

1959: Ashley is born. I'm guessing Gary passes away around this time.

1961: Katherine and Phillip marry.

1962: Neil Fenmore marries JoAnna Manning.

1963: Traci is born. Lauren is born.

1970-1972: Jack serves in Vietnam and becomes involved with Mai Yun (Luan).

1971: Dina leaves John and relocates to Paris.

1972: Keemo is born.

1974: A teenage Jill meets Katherine and Phillip. Jill and Phillip become involved.

1975: Phillip II passes away.

1976: Phillip Chancellor III is born. Cane and Caleb Ashby are born. 

1980: John and Jill meet.

1982: John and Jill marry. Ashley and Traci return to Genoa City.

1983: Dina returns to Genoa City as the widow of Monsieur Mergeron.

1985: Ashley learns of her true parentage.

1989: Phillip III passes away.

2003: Katherine reveals she had a second child and it is believed to be Jill.

2006: Katherine confesses giving away Jill's baby and replacing him with an unknown child.

2007: Cane Ashby arrives in Genoa City and is believed to be the Chancellor heir. 

2008: Katherine's second child turns out not to be Jill.

2009: Cane is not the Chancellor heir. Jill's child was the Chancellor heir all along. Phillip III is revealed to be alive and living in Australia under the name Phillip Langley. 

2010: Katherine learns her second child is Tucker McCall. Jill learns biological parents are Neil Fenmore and an unknown woman.

2018: Jack learns of his true parentage.

I didn't even factor SORAS and some births in the timeline. If I'm missing anything feel free to chime in

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Watched the Thursday episode and if MY wanted to give Morrow the chance to emote, he did not disappoint.  It also helps that Victor was basically a backboard for Nick to vent his rage at, the way Victor was just sitting and eating his food.  It made sense to set this scene in a restaurant where there are unspoken boundaries for not wanting to cause a scene, although I am searching my mind for a time when Victor actually cared about whether or not he was causing a scene, maybe times where he barked at Nikki to keep her voice down during a disagreement.

Taken in isolation (which seems to be the only reasons stories are written these days--as 'Emmy bait' for the actors), it was good work from JM but overall, the actual premise and execution of this storyline is sloppy.  The arbitration scenes defied logic.  Why would Britney not go after Victor with every incident of misdeed Victor has ever committed, and why would Nick be okay with this strategy? 

Also, the ruling made no sense to me-- if we are comparing the legal records of three out of the four parents (Nick, Sharon, Victor and Nikki) shouldn't Nick still come out on top as the most fit parent?

I understand that we are now meant to see some sort of progression in Nick toward embracing the 'ruthless' side of himself, a la the phrase 'like Father, like Son' but it rings hollow to me because the premise hasn't been properly established, so whatever transition takes place would only ring hollow, IMO.

But those scenes were good, lol.

Archived