ABC Cancels The Chew: GMA will air 3 hours

John

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also think that the co-hosts will likely be fine. Symon is probably already fielding offers for new projects. There's so much TV these days that I can't help but believe that everyone else, including the crew will get contacted about other TV, film projects soon.

I admit to not paying much attention to The Chew but I wonder whether they had a steady ratings decline recently and perhaps the continuing Batali scandals gave them the final impetus to cancel the show?

• Members

Oh, I absolutely believe it did, ultimately.  I just wonder if the show had already been on a downward cycle ratings-wise. 

It just seemed as if the show's producers probably thought removing him from the show would stop what became the inevitable from happening. 

In ABC's mind though, this may have been a situation where they were maintaining a wait and see approach. If the ratings were in a gradual decline.  Yesterday, someone tweeted that the ratings also declined after Batali's exit., then ABC may have already been on 'cancellation watch'.

• Members

No, ABC wanted them all gone. Frons had to beg to save GH because he felt Bob Guza's GH was the crown jewel.

The point is, both OLTL and GH were still viable. Even AMC had once been viable before years of sabotage. They cut the shows because reality was more cost-effective and cheap, not because either OLTL or GH were on their last legs. OLTL was still more successful in its timeslot than its replacements.

Archived