Worst fictional primetime couples in TV history?

amybrickwallace

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as sitcoms go, anytime I saw Tim & Jill on Home Improvement and Michael & Jay on My Wife & Kids I just shook my head and wondered on what planet could those individuals could be married to each other because of the endless arguing each couple did.

Now, to start off on dramas that hadn't been mentioned yet:

George & Izzie, on Grey's...Icky affair, zero chemistry, and acted by two performers who both had vastly bloated egos at the time that championed the pairing. 

As far as boring couples on Grey's goes, that story with Teddy falling in love with and then marrying a dying patient seemed to hog up a LOT of airtime but was quickly forgettable. 

Brandon & Kelly on 90210....could there ever have been a more sanctimonious couple than these too? I was smug and satisfied whenever Brandon would ditch Kelly for Valerie. 

For a tentpole couple on a show, Leo and Piper on Charmed were very boring. However it was Phoebe's relationship with Nick Lachey's character that was the nadir as far as the many pairings on Charmed, and even Piper's worst was in the first season when she dated some idiotic PhD grad student played none other than Shawn Christian for a few episodes. 

I'm sure I'll think of more, especially thinking back to other shows like Dynasty and L.A. Law....

+1's for everyone all the around!

The last couple seasons of Dallas were an unmitigated disaster. The only redeeming qualities in those final days were the stories which revolved around Michelle played by a very underrated by Kimberly Foster. 

• Members

DALLAS: 

Lucy and Mitch

Jack & Jenna (shudders)

Jack & Grace

Jenna and Ray (dear Gooood)

Bobby & April

J.R. and Cally

DYNASTY:

Jeff and Lady Ashley

Jeff and Nicole (shudders)

FRIENDS

Joey & Rachel

MELROSE PLACE

Richard & Jane

Richard & Jo

Billy & Samantha

• Members

Debra and Ray on Everybody Loves Raymond as well. The relationship became so bitter and she became such a shrew - I've always wondered if that was one of the reasons that the show didn't have anywhere near as much of a legacy as people at the time thought it would. (it doesn't help that Patricia Heaton seems like a shrew in real life) 

I was just a kid at the time (yes I was a child watching Dallas - no wonder I'm such a screwed up person) but I really liked Cally. I can see why Hagman chose Cathy Podwell, as I think she had a vulnerability to her. With that said, looking back, it really is bizarre and cringeworthy (the debut with the hick town in particular) and shows they had run out of ideas for JR.

I'm also bewildered at how awful the makeup and wardrobe were for Sue Ellen by that point. I guess that's right before Linda Gray left.

• Members

EWW I forgot all about Jenna and Ray on Dallas! That was dreadful!

Boyle and Roberts carried a lot of that show's weight as the supporting cast and I remember their hijinks more so than anything else the main characters did. Unlikable characters was a common and major point criticism for Raymond and other CBS sitcoms of that era(King of Queens, Becker, Still Standing)  and overall those series have been largely brushed aside as an result in the years following their endings. As for Heaton she was pretty much born to play her role on The Middle which has allowed Heaton to blend in some of her real-life qualities into her performances. 

• Members

Opposite attracts is why we end up with people like Tim/Jill on Home Improvement, etc... that is what causes the constant arguments.

For me, I watch shows for family interactions and friendships.. the relationship aspect is the least interesting part for me (i.e. Friends I liked the six as friends.. but stopped liking the show when they started dating).

• Members

@SoapDope thanks for finding those. They were hilarious, especially the captions ("turbanated" "a billionaire wearing potato suits"). I did think they were hard on James' sweaters, which I liked. I can't believe how awful Jenna looked in the many clips they had of her - how do you make Priscilla Presley (of that era) look so frumpy? 

The worst was Pam's perm. She looks like Rick James!

• Members

Ditto. There have been couples I’ve enjoyed in TV series (like Mallet/Harley on GL or Victor/Hope on Y&R when I was a kid or couples with undeniable sexual chemistry like Max/Gabrielle on OLTL), but it’s very rarely what draws me to a show. Parent/child or friendship bonds are always more compelling to me.

Archived