SORASing: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

• Members

I've always hated SORASing on soaps. Always. It makes the past irrelevant, creates too many plot holes for established characters, and rarely serves a good purpose except to bring in the "teen set". To me, SORASing is the definition of lazy writing and most soap writers (including the greats) are guilty of it.

What are your favorite GOOD, BAD, and UGLY case of SORASing over the years?

Good: NONE

Bad: Phillip Chancellor, III. Even though he was born on-screen in 1976 and returned as a teen in 1986, Phillip's return re-ignited the feud between Kay and Jill, paired him with Nina, spawned the wonderful feud of Jill & Nina with Kay siding with Nina, and gave him a wonderful death (which never should've happened and was retconned anyway). 

Ugly: Y&R is the worst culprit in my book of SORASing. Victoria, Nick, Billy, Daniel Colleen, Reed, Summer, Abby, Lily, Kyle, etc... Ugh. I think SORASing Billy Abbot & Lily Winters on Y&R threw the show out of whack. She was suddenly older than Cassie (who was six when Lily was born!), and old as Colleen, Nate, and Daniel (who were all born between 1992-1993). It's long been rumored that Nate won't come back to Y&R because he'd be too old to play against characters who should be his peers because of the way the show was handled SORASing; he'd probably be the same age as Paul at this point. Billy Abbott probably the worst case of SORASing due to the fact he's supposed to the same age as Cassie, Colleen, Nate, and Daniel, but he's a pushing well past middle age - the whole thing makes my head hurt.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ugly: EJ Wells Dimera owns this thread. The supposed love of his life was like 20 something when he was born and had a kid, and then suddenly he was the same age as Sami and older than not only her kid but every other child born onscreen years before him.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

Leah Bauer became a teenager way too soon for no reason.

Billy Abbott should be younger than Phillip IV. (I refuse to call him Chance.)

Shawn-Douglas and Belle are not the same age. Belle and Phillip grew up way too soon. 

Alan-Michael Spaulding grew up way too fast.

Cane Ashby is supposed to be the same age as Phillip III. Are we supposed to forget that? His wife Lily is several years younger than Phillip IV by the way. 

• Members

"Here's the baby who just grew/15 years in only two ..." -- oh, sorry, lost myself there.

My attitude is SORASing is okay if it's not at the expense of the parents as major players. Hope Bauer, yes. Hope Williams, no.

• Members

Y&R.....I always thought it was funny that I remember when Victoria and Nicholas Newman were born, now they are both older than me....LOL. The same for Leslie and Lance's baby Brooks.

B&B......I was a teen when Brook had Rick, now we are about the same age. 

• Members

I think the reason why they didn’t push her out and recast was Monty and the producers between her didn’t want to age Anna and Robert out of lead character status into parents of leads.  

Plus Finola and Tristan would have probably been very angry because they loved her.  By the time Wendy got there Robin was old enough for a teen romance.

I remember thinking after they died, that would be the end of Robin.  I’m so glad they kept her.  Her relationships with Stone, Jason and Patrick, friendship with Brenda and hatred for Carly were some of my favorite parts of the show.