Retconning: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are literally years of story to mine in having kids that are high school aged.  But they want to get them on that married baby track so fast it escalates the aging problems!

That young set DAYS started about 2 or 3 years ago should have been through Degrassi style storylines for years before we got them to graduation and college.  But they were 15 for about a minute, then 18, then mostly gone.

• Members

I think they impregnate so many characters out of pure laziness. What will fill up nearly a years worth of material? Pregnancy! Add in a WTD and you have literally years worth of story! But it’s all inert because nothing actually happens. The creation of a human is not inherently character growth or substantially interesting. It can be, except when it’s a crutch. Which it often times is.

I remember watching Guiding Light in the early 2000s and I swear Harley was pregnant every other year. I was so confused! Why was this woman constantly knocked up? Maybe I’m exaggerating but it just felt like a lot.

Speaking of Harley, her daughter Susan left town at 16 and came back 6 years later at 16. How in the hell.

• Members

Remember when we watched a week of the show and I couldn't figure out who all the kids were or how many she had? It was like Jon and Kate Plus 8.

I agree pregnancy stories are a lazy crutch in lieu of actual growth. See: Spencer, Lulu, GH. (And Maxie - it's inconceivable she has one kid, let alone two)

• Members

Hahaha yes! There were so many kids on that show! Just little interchangeable blonde moppets.

Maxie had another kid? What! Why? I don’t understand how they limit these characters so much by having them have a kid at like 20. There’s absolutely no reason Lily should have had TWINS at 21-22 or however old she was and now be mother of two teenagers. It’s just beyond dumb.

• Members

And of course Lulu's eggs got impregnated by Valentin Cassadine (a truly weak and lame John Patrick Stuart, who mostly cries over Nina and plays piano) without her knowledge and so she has a second pointless child too. Neither character has any business having children. It's all Lulu is now.

GL went full Mormon fundie by the end.

• Members

Yes, it was ridiculous for Phillip and Harley to have THAT many kids running around.  But, you know, I've often felt like their entire relationship was one big WTF?.  So, in a way, it was fitting for the two to procreate so much and so often.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Harley on GL only had three kids, (Susan/Daisy in 87 and the other two later, part of that tied into her real life pregnancies especially the second one...that only happened with Rick to write it into the story.) In real life there was a baby boom among much of the female cast at GL, and many of those pregnancies weren't hidden. At least there were jokes made about it or at least it was acknowledged, when Clarissa was a baby, Harley said to Blake, oh your daughter can date RJ (this was before cousins who shared one grandparent became a thing) and Cassie said oh she could date Zach (who was her first cousin's child by blood). The majority of the babies came when Rauch was the producer as GL couldn't really afford to pay or use babies in the middle of a field in NJ.

Archived