Retconning: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• Members

Nancy did soften with age, but could be stern when warranted.

I'm surprised Lorie and Leslie became close since during the first 9 years of the show.. it seemed like they didn't get along and did horrible stuff to one another.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do think viewers got a chuckle out of Nancy's sharpness, because it was a recognizable human trait. Every family has a mother/grandmother/aunt who fries them to the wall from time to time. We laugh at what we can relate to.

If you grew to care about the legacy characters post-Marland's work, it is a shame you did not have the pleasure of watching ATWT during its golden years. The characters were fiercely loved, like a second family, by loyal viewers. i believe the love for the characters was the main reason ATWT's ratings plummeted so sharply when the vets were eliminated in the early 1980s. All the plastic newbies in the world, running around in bikinis or with their abs showing, do not substitute for FAMILY.

Yes, Nancy poo-pooing the idea of Jennifer's career aspirations was vintage Nancy. She was always convinced she was right, and wouldn't hesitate to make everyone else know it.

Virginia Dwyer really rocked the scene in which Mary exploded over Rachel's treachery. Rachel had tried to swindle the Matthewses out of ten thousand dollars too, when they offered to set up a trust fund for Jamie...whom Rachel already knew was NOT their grandson. Mary had previously bitten her tongue a lot and tried to tolerate Rachel, but finally could not hold in her rage any longer. To me, this was a memorable moment like Karen Wolek breaking down on the witness stand (OLTL) or Kelly berating Nola for her machinations (TGL). Great stuff!

• Members

Leslie had often received the bulk of their parents' attention (or so Lorie perceived) because she was so introverted and closed off to the world. Lorie grew up resenting Leslie, and was quite monstrous to her when she first came back to Genoa City.

Lorie did all sorts of things to undermine Leslie's fragile confidence, and to make Leslie believe that Brad Elliot was not interested in her. Lorie fought to manipulate Brad away from Leslie as well. She eventually succeeded, with much satisfaction, in breaking them up and devastating Leslie.

While in Detroit to perform a concert, the overwhelming pain of losing Brad drove Leslie into a nervous breakdown (on-stage, no less). She eventually wandered around the streets of the city in a disoriented semi-catatonic state until she was picked up by the authorities and committed to a public mental hospital under the alias Jane Doe.

Her desperate family searched for her for months, and when they finally tracked her down, Stuart told Lorie that the doctors believed a traumatic event had precipitated Leslie's schizophrenic break. Wanting to know exactly how much of her own machinations Leslie had figured out, Lorie went to visit Leslie in the mental hospital. By this time, Leslie was getting better and slowly coming back to reality. She had put all the pieces together and remembered her sister's treachery. When Lorie sauntered in, oozing faux sympathy, Leslie let her have it and berated Lorie for all the heinous things she had done.

Lorie just shrugged, as she was wont to do, and replied coolly that even if all of this were true, "No one is going to believe you, Les. You are in  a mental hospital. YOU...ARE...SICK!"

My head almost exploded in rage.

Lorie swept out of the room as Leslie screamed, "BITCH!!!!!!!" (The first time I had ever heard that word on daytime TV but I screamed it at the same time, so I was not shocked at Leslie's choice of words, LOL.)

Considering this one story alone, it surprised me that the sisters would ever be completely comfortable or close with each other again. Some memories last a lifetime.

By the way, I do not regularly scream at the television. It has only happened three times.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Man, am I sorry I'm a little too young to remember that...sounds awesome. 

And same goes for salty Nancy. I remember reading about her disapproving of Jennifer wanting to continue nursing after marrying Bob, and was so shocked. SHOCKED! I recall only good, kind, wise Nancy (this applies to Bert Bauer as well, BTW.. ) whom everyone loved. 

• Members

Yes.

As for Nancy - even in her return for Bob and Kim's wedding she is written in a somewhat conservative, icy manner (I think she makes a bit of a dig about Kim's engagement ring or about Bob moving into Kim's house...?). It was mostly under Marland that she became more like the warm grandma of TV tropes, other than brief blips like when she found out about Kim and Bob having a one-night stand when he was married to Jennifer.

• Members

Interesting that Lorie never had a child, and Les and Chris did only after several years(both actresses were pregnant in real life)

Peggy didn't get pregnant by Jack Curtis and Jill only had Phillip. Later, Ashley,Traci, Cricket, Nina,lauren remained childless for years

Bill Bell used pregnancy/children sparingly as a plot device.

Nowadays every lead female has to have a child by their 'true love'

Victoria, Lily, Chelsea, Chloe, Phyllis etc

Archived