Jump to content


soapfan770

Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember

Recommended Posts

On 6/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, All My Shadows said:

Wasn't she referring to Glee's Matthew Morrison? No name was mentioned, but we all knew.

 

And wasn't he difficult to work with on ATWT? I remember he thought he was too good for soaps and bolted pretty quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soapsuds said:

And wasn't he difficult to work with on ATWT? I remember he thought he was too good for soaps and bolted pretty quickly. 

I don't remember what was said at the time, but in the end, I think we lucked out because Matt Cavenaugh ended up being a better Adam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

And wasn't he difficult to work with on ATWT? I remember he thought he was too good for soaps and bolted pretty quickly. 

 

He's not exactly a household name now, so I guess his attitude backfired!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1989 SOD end of the year issue was published today on Tumblr.  There is a gossip item about Chantal Contouri (Prunella, GH) and Tristan Rogers (Scorpio) that I am dying to know more about.  It mentioned a grievance note that Chantal "slipped under Tristan's dressing room door" and apparently leaked to the soap press.  A quick search pulled up many old articles that required various forms of membership to read.  So, does anyone recall this dust up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 10:47 AM, j swift said:

The 1989 SOD end of the year issue was published today on Tumblr.  There is a gossip item about Chantal Contouri (Prunella, GH) and Tristan Rogers (Scorpio) that I am dying to know more about.  It mentioned a grievance note that Chantal "slipped under Tristan's dressing room door" and apparently leaked to the soap press.  A quick search pulled up many old articles that required various forms of membership to read.  So, does anyone recall this dust up?

I found this on Newspapers.com, from October 1989.

aAmsK7H.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Taylor on B&B was giving birth to her twins, Steffy and whatever the other one's name was (perhaps it was Thomas, it's hard to recakk), I remember there was a full page article in SOD because Brooke (or someone in the episode) said "goddamn" in the heat of the moment. This was in 99, even at the time I thought it was a little ridiculous but I don't think even now they allow you to say goddamn on television.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Darn said:

When Taylor on B&B was giving birth to her twins, Steffy and whatever the other one's name was (perhaps it was Thomas, it's hard to recakk), I remember there was a full page article in SOD because Brooke (or someone in the episode) said "goddamn" in the heat of the moment. This was in 99, even at the time I thought it was a little ridiculous but I don't think even now they allow you to say goddamn on television.

 

I remember that Archie Bunker used the phrase "goddamned" in a classic episode of All in the Family back in the 1970s. Edith chided him about it, and using the same word in her criticism. The language drew complaints from the audience, and the next time I saw a rerun of the episode, the term had been (badly) edited out. 

 

Does anyone else remember when The Godfather film was first aired on network TV? We had tough mobsters and thugs like Sonny Corleone running around saying, "That's horseSPIT!" It was hilariously stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a couple of times on either GL or ATWT when someone was driving on their way to either Springfield or Oakdale they would show a green highway/miles to the city sign....and it listed Oakdale (number of miles), below that Springfield (number of miles) and Bay City (number of miles).  Looked like a real highway sign and I thought - I wonder who ended up with that sign.  I would have loved to have had it for my wall next to my bar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fevuh said:

I remember a couple of times on either GL or ATWT when someone was driving on their way to either Springfield or Oakdale they would show a green highway/miles to the city sign....and it listed Oakdale (number of miles), below that Springfield (number of miles) and Bay City (number of miles).  Looked like a real highway sign and I thought - I wonder who ended up with that sign.  I would have loved to have had it for my wall next to my bar.  

 

That sign made me wonder if the P&G soaps existed within The Twilight Zone, because originally, TGL's Springfield was thought to be in Illinois, but ATWT's Oakdale was in Ohio, and Another World's Bay City and Somerset were confirmed on-screen to be in Michigan.

 

Never expect TPTB to do any research on their own shows, LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

TGL's Springfield was thought to be in Illinois, but ATWT's Oakdale was in Ohio

 

I believe Oakdale was always located in Illinois. You may be confused with the original Hughes farm, which was located in Ohio. It's where Pa Hughes raised Chris, Edith and John. But when Chris married Nancy, they moved to Oakdale, where they were soon joined by Edith and Pa, with John staying behind on the farm in Ohio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

That sign made me wonder if the P&G soaps existed within The Twilight Zone, because originally, TGL's Springfield was thought to be in Illinois, but ATWT's Oakdale was in Ohio, and Another World's Bay City and Somerset were confirmed on-screen to be in Michigan.

 

Never expect TPTB to do any research on their own shows, LOL!

I, too, recall Bay City being set in Michigan. I remember a plot (perhaps a police hunt for Rachel) where they showed the state map for Michigan. Then, about 6-7 years later, Bay City was said to be in Illinois...across from Chicago, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brolden said:

 

I believe Oakdale was always located in Illinois. You may be confused with the original Hughes farm, which was located in Ohio. It's where Pa Hughes raised Chris, Edith and John. But when Chris married Nancy, they moved to Oakdale, where they were soon joined by Edith and Pa, with John staying behind on the farm in Ohio.

 

 Hmmm, okay, that may be what I was thinking about. My ancient brain does not always give me access to information, LOL. But I also seem to recall that the hardcover anniversary book mentioned Ohio. Or was that just in reference to the farm too?

 

1 hour ago, robbwolff said:

I, too, recall Bay City being set in Michigan. I remember a plot (perhaps a police hunt for Rachel) where they showed the state map for Michigan. Then, about 6-7 years later, Bay City was said to be in Illinois...across from Chicago, I believe.

 

I am much more sure about this location. Bay City and Somerset were in Michigan. It was mentioned at least twice on the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

But I also seem to recall that the hardcover anniversary book mentioned Ohio. Or was that just in reference to the farm too?

 

I fully understand your confusion because of they way the book is structured. It starts with 'back story', which is pretty much all about Ohio (because of the farm), before going into the actual story, starting with 1956-1960. That story, though, was always set in Illinois. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...