Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember

• Members

Much like her AW character, Missy, Carol Roux grew up in foster homes. She married and divorced a professional dancer before becoming involved with drummer Rick Coonce of the Grass Roots. When she got the chance to head up the AW spinoff with Jordan Charney and Ann Wedgeworth, things did not go well:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20276400/lydia_hirsch_column/

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The comments about her in the Somerset thread 5-6 years ago were very interesting. 

This is the movie that she may have been in. I think there was some arguing over whether it was her.

• Members

I wonder if she was/is bipolar. Just reading interviews with her, and reading how she caused trouble on the set of Somerset with "real and imagined illnesses" which no doubt held up production. I can imagine how well that went over with cast AND crew back in the live tape era. 

Supposedly, the only character she ever wanted to play was Missy, and that's why she turned WTHI down. I've never heard of that from anyone else - they want to play other characters!! I definitely think there were psychological issues going on, but this was 1970. Maybe her co-workers saw her as a temperamental diva, a flake, or both. Who knows?

• Members

The most tragic of stories involved the soap actor Don Briscoe... who was first on Days (I think as an illfated suitor of marie Horton).. and Dark Shadows (playing a handful of characters).  He was considered a pin up/ heart throb back in the late 60s.  He quit acting in 1970 after suffering a mental break down and being deemed by a medical professional as being unable to work due to his mental state.... and sadly died an almost recluse in 2004.   

• Members

A lot of people who knew him said he was also involved in the late 60's/early 70's drug scene, especially when he moved to L.A. 

It looks like her when she turns into the Nun. According to the check date, this was done back in 1997. I remember back in the WOST days, they did an interview with her and she came across really nervous and eccentric. She also kept saying she didn't realize till now how sexy Joe Gallison was at the time. 

• Members

I was going to say, there was a poster at WoST who was in touch with her, he shared a lot of their correspondence with us. That's what led to her eventually being interviewed on the site. WoST Brian probably still has it, but I don't believe any of the WoST interviews (Harding Lemay, et cetera) are still online.

• Members

Is the poster you are talking about named Dan? It was he who served as a go-between of sorts when I wanted to write her a letter and ask her to autograph a picture for me. From what he said, she was intensely private and didn't want to reveal her address. So, Dan told me to send the picture to his address and he in turn would mail it to her. Long story short, that's exactly what he did and she did sign my picture. I really appreciated his efforts and kindness as well as Carol signing my picture.

The story of Don Briscoe is indeed sad. Didn't he spend his post-show biz life in the care of his parents?

• Members

I think Chrishell Stause Hartley (Amanda Dillon Martin, AMC) told SOD that it wasn't her ex-fiance's fault that he thought monogamy was a tree. Great quote. Now she's married to Justin Hartley, another former daytimer gone on to major success in primetime, so she got the last laugh.

• Members

Remember back in late 1996 (I believe he had just begun as Bobby Reno/Shane Roberts/Whoever on AW) when he and Miriam Parrish (who had recently left DAYS) did a joint interview for SOM? There was a centerfold of them cuddled side by side against an all-white background. She was completely topless and his arm was covering her, ahem, girls. 20+ years later, that image is still (unfortunately) burned into my brain. MY EYES!! 😨😨😨😨😨

• Members

Days has had older actor/teenage actress meeting on the show and getting together in real life before. In the mid-1980s David Wallace and Lisa Trusel met on Days and they were married one week after Lisa turned 18. AFAIK they are still together some 30+ years later.