Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The 1989 SOD end of the year issue was published today on Tumblr.  There is a gossip item about Chantal Contouri (Prunella, GH) and Tristan Rogers (Scorpio) that I am dying to know more about.  It mentioned a grievance note that Chantal "slipped under Tristan's dressing room door" and apparently leaked to the soap press.  A quick search pulled up many old articles that required various forms of membership to read.  So, does anyone recall this dust up?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

When Taylor on B&B was giving birth to her twins, Steffy and whatever the other one's name was (perhaps it was Thomas, it's hard to recakk), I remember there was a full page article in SOD because Brooke (or someone in the episode) said "goddamn" in the heat of the moment. This was in 99, even at the time I thought it was a little ridiculous but I don't think even now they allow you to say goddamn on television.

• Members

I remember that Archie Bunker used the phrase "goddamned" in a classic episode of All in the Family back in the 1970s. Edith chided him about it, and using the same word in her criticism. The language drew complaints from the audience, and the next time I saw a rerun of the episode, the term had been (badly) edited out. 

Does anyone else remember when The Godfather film was first aired on network TV? We had tough mobsters and thugs like Sonny Corleone running around saying, "That's horseSPIT!" It was hilariously stupid.

• Members

I remember a couple of times on either GL or ATWT when someone was driving on their way to either Springfield or Oakdale they would show a green highway/miles to the city sign....and it listed Oakdale (number of miles), below that Springfield (number of miles) and Bay City (number of miles).  Looked like a real highway sign and I thought - I wonder who ended up with that sign.  I would have loved to have had it for my wall next to my bar.  

• Members

That sign made me wonder if the P&G soaps existed within The Twilight Zone, because originally, TGL's Springfield was thought to be in Illinois, but ATWT's Oakdale was in Ohio, and Another World's Bay City and Somerset were confirmed on-screen to be in Michigan.

Never expect TPTB to do any research on their own shows, LOL!

• Members

I believe Oakdale was always located in Illinois. You may be confused with the original Hughes farm, which was located in Ohio. It's where Pa Hughes raised Chris, Edith and John. But when Chris married Nancy, they moved to Oakdale, where they were soon joined by Edith and Pa, with John staying behind on the farm in Ohio.

• Members

Hmmm, okay, that may be what I was thinking about. My ancient brain does not always give me access to information, LOL. But I also seem to recall that the hardcover anniversary book mentioned Ohio. Or was that just in reference to the farm too?

I am much more sure about this location. Bay City and Somerset were in Michigan. It was mentioned at least twice on the air.

• Members

I fully understand your confusion because of they way the book is structured. It starts with 'back story', which is pretty much all about Ohio (because of the farm), before going into the actual story, starting with 1956-1960. That story, though, was always set in Illinois. 

Please register in order to view this content