Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember

• Members

A recent comment I saw about Carolyn Hinsey's epic 2008 firing from SOW had me thinking. In all the years in reading the soap press are there any particular offbeat or peculiar moments that still stick out to any of you to this day here in 2018? I certainly recall a strange few for starters: 

--In 1989, it was rumored the usually mild-mannered and generally admired longtime P&G veteran producer Joe Willmore, who was EP at GL was constantly losing his temperament and was very controlling; the cast and crew didn't shed any tears when Calhoun came in to replace and Willmore left P&G without fanfare. 

--A January 1992 issue of Soap Opera Update predicted that Brian, Ginger, Molly and Tanner on Days would be the real stars of the show with Molly & Tanner destined to become Days' IT/hottest supercouple of the year. In reality, all four characters caused the show to tank badly. 

--Circa summer 1996, Victoria Wyndham went to a Rhode Island ice shop and apparently was quite rude to the store owner and their mother. The alleged incident seemed to haunt Wyndham for several years on the net following it first surfacing. 

--In the summer of 1998, an OLTL fan mailed a bizarre letter to SOD's fan mail section stating they had enjoyed Maggie Andersson as Jessica for years and stated they did not like the new recast and wanted to know the name of the new Jessica actress. SOD had to awkwardly correct the OLTL fan stating that Andersson had just been a temporary recast and that Erin Torpey was the original actress. @SFK

--Ken Corday declaring war on SOW after they named the Gina story on Days the Worst Story of 1999; he boycotted giving any interviews with the rag for a good year. 

--Any of the strange interviews that JER and Brad Bell did with Michael Logan in the spring of 2004 regarding their plans for the respective shows Days and B&B. Let's just be thankful none of it came to pass. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The fireplace poker "joke" from Hinsey, that, along with the Marcia from Arkansas [!@#$%^&*], made me begin avoiding anything she wrote and eventually helped convince me to stop buying SOD and SPW.

That Felicia Minei Behr interview with Michael Logan where she decided to be very, very blunt about the state of ABC Daytime when she returned, only to face serious blowback.

The infamous "wizened old man" comment from MADD.

Victoria Wyndham bitching out Michael Logan for being so critical of her work as Justine. 

George Pilgrim giving the middle finger to soaps before departing GL for a career of...something, somewhere. 

Liz Hubbard's very, very blunt interviews about FMB's attitude toward her at ATWT. 

Beverlee McKinsey's infamous interview where she said she and Michael Zaslow had not gotten along all that well. 

Any Melody Thomas Scott interview in the last 10-15 years. 

Many of the "Diva von Dish" columns in SOD, which were often extremely bitchy and did not fit the tone of the magazine, to say the least. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Paolo Seganti’s interview with Michael Logan in which said that, aside from his theater-trained ATWT co-stars like Larry Bryggman and Kathleen Widdoes, most soap actors are “not that talented.”

Peter Bergman's comments about Victoria Rowell: “I look at her with compassion and concern. I don’t think she’s playing with a full deck.” 

Rowell’s various interviews after leaving Y&R, including a podcast interview with KSJ.

The profile of Susan Lucci in which it was revealed she heavily campaigned to play the female lead in “The Bridges of Madison County” (which ultimately went to Meryl Streep).

Camille Paglia’s various interviews with Logan in which she praised Melody Thomas Scott and I believe said MTS was a better actress than the aforementioned Streep.

Bob Guza’s interviews in which he slagged off Claire Labine, declared his GH an examination of “love during wartime,” and expressed admiration for Sopranos creator David Chase. 

Shemar Moore saying that he wasn’t gay but if he were, he’d “have it goin’ on.”

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I didn't know about the last part. Well, she's not wrong...

Another was a Kim Zimmer SPW interview soon after she returned to GL in 1995. They mentioned how tired she was of hearing about how she didn't get the role of the wife in Evening Shade, or that Kathleen Turner had had a big career and she hadn't. She talked about complaints over her taking over GL. She talked about her standoffish meeting with JFP about coming back to the show. She talked about how Models Inc made her look old. Most memorable of all, she talked about how she and Pam Long had such a contentious relationship that when they met for lunch toward the end of Kim's first run on GL, the person who was with them left the table to vomit. 

Another I remember was an SPW interview with Peggy McCay around this time, where she talked about a movie she made - Lad, a Dog. She basically said she had to drive herself to work, while the dog came in a limo or an expensive car. She talked about the absurdity of seeing the door open and the dog bound out. The image has always stuck in my head. 

Speaking of Kim Zimmer, wasn't there a soap magazine article that printed something they had to say "oops" over (I think it was about her issues with Cynthia Watros and how there was a clip of her in a promo throwing a purse that was actually from a real argument? Or am I wrong?)

Another was when Paul Rauch bitched to SOD that nothing he did could ever please "Matessa" fans. It made me laugh at the time.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I seem to recall reading the former interview at some point years later as I didn't realized Zimmer had ever been considered for Evening Shade. I know KZ' has always had a big resentful chip on her shoulder about her 1990-1995 years not working out the way she hoped (a few MacGyver eps, Santa Barbara, Models Inc. and a Seinfeld ep) but by 1995 when she returned to GL Evening Shade was already cancelled and quickly faded into obscurity while Kathleen Turner's film career never left the '80s. The glass is half empty view of the world much? I love a Zimmer interview but sometimes it can be the most. 

That Zimmer/Watros pic actually did occur, I think it happened in either CBS SID or SOU. Apparently the tight conditions of the show and a stage play that Zimmer and Watros were working on outside the show were causing tensions between the two women to boil. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

In reading old interviews, I always got the impression that William Gray Espy Y&R and AW) was eccentric. In one interview he stated that he really did not get along all that well with Trish Stewart( who played his wife Chris on Y&R) and that he knew it was his fault and that was just the way he was. He would supposedly tape his scenes and hole up in his dressing room. He also said something like when he was on Y&R he felt like he was taken advantage of and his approach to playing Snapper was to be preoccupied with something else while saying his lines.  Linda Dano said the whole time he was on AW he would complain he had to get off the show and he felt like he was being stifled. James Houghton said something along those lines and that Espy just wanted to be on the golf course and that he was the now manager or owner of one. When Espy returned to Y&R in 2003, Houghton said he had been watching the show and saw Houghton's name in the writing credits and called in. 

Melody Thomas Scott has said and done some stuff over the years that makes you do a double take.

All that stuff that came out about Kimberlin Brown & Hunter Tylo and their husbands.

• Members

Speaking of Pilgrim....he hasn't aged well. How old was he during his time on GL? I floved him on the show and was surprised he left...

Please register in order to view this content

Chris Goutman saying that Scott Bryce was fired as Craig because he wasn't portraying him correctly.  I had to LOL at that ridiculous statement since SB originated the role. And who better than him to know the character....

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Probably Eric Braeden's interviews over the last few years...............him saying he doesn't really know people that work on the show that well, unless they have been there for 10 plus years, and also calling Sharon "crazier" then Victor......Oh let's not forget him saying he almost got into "Fisticuffs" with Michael Muhney, when he said he was the "Young" lion and Braeden was the "Old" Lion....

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by YRfan23