danfling

The soap opera writers' discussion

I wonder if Agnes Nixon and Bill Bell ever spoke to each other about Irna Phillips with the same type of derision that Pete Lemay used in his book?  

I know both of their memoirs lack any real criticism of Irna, but it is hard to believe that they never had a bit of a kiki about her antiquated style.  Y&R was publicized as a modern soap for young people in direct contrast to the other Irna-created CBS soaps.  Ms. Nixon always included socially relevant stories that would have been verboten on older soaps.  I don't even know the personal relationship between Bill and Agnes, but it would be fun to hear how they felt about her, and her capricious relationships with her actors, once they were running their own shows.  Because it is an interesting contrast to hear the Nixon and Bell acolytes praise their mentorship, while Irna is not remembered as kindly.

4 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

They were obviously not going to work on a soap after their ordeal with their own one, but the Dobson's would have been interesting at AMC as well. I think they would have gelled well with Agnes's sometimes broad humour approach and they showed at GL they could also handle more contemporary issues.

IA.  In its heyday, AMC had a marvelous sense of humor, and I think the Dobsons could have revived some of that, had they ever been approached about taking over, and allowed to write without interference.

16 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

They were obviously not going to work on a soap after their ordeal with their own one, but the Dobson's would have been interesting at AMC as well. I think they would have gelled well with Agnes's sometimes broad humour approach and they showed at GL they could also handle more contemporary issues. Their ATWT had issues, but a huge part of that seemed P&G wanting to follow the trends GH/ABC was successful with at that time. 

I could see the Dobson's working on AMC due to the humor the show was known for, as well as the show's choice of featuring larger than life characters.  They proved on GL that they could masterfully write a community based show with deeply enriching characters... and they proved on SB that they could write tongue in cheek... and AMC had both the humor and community based elements that the Dobson's would have been a master at writing.

I think the reason the Dobson's didn't work on ATWT was because while the show had a community based element to it, it never had the humor nor passion that GL and SB had.  

For me, I think the Dobson's would have worked well on Search for Tomorrow (community based with a unique sense of whimsy) and All My Children.

I am in the minority, but I feel that Mr. and Mrs. Dobson ruined The Guiding LIght.   (I wonder if they had been hired by Luci Rittenburg Feri to write this show?   I suspect that they were not.)

Two many new characters were introduced at one time.   Also (and I could be wrong), weren't they the writers who killed off the show's major character Leslie?

On 9/21/2018 at 8:16 PM, Vee said:

Jarrod has departed because we were all too critical of bad soaps.

I still get notifications and still read some of the threads. I stopped contributing in any significant way because I didn't feel my style meshed with others on this site, I didn't feel very welcome and I didn't like what seemed like a lot of negativity. I wanted to have more meaningful conversations with others on the site, and I value the community for how it keeps information about soaps "alive" and going forward. But I made the decision to pull away and not be actively involved. It wasn't an easy decision but I think it was the right decision. There would have been too many fights which I have now avoided. I enjoy using my posting time more productively in other areas. I will keep reading the threads when I feel compelled to visit this site. I especially love it when people talk about soap writers. Best regards.