Y&R May 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's the thing: if you're going to do a big, short-term return story like Y&R was attempting to do w/ J.T./TL, then it must be SO good that it keeps viewers hooked even after the actor has left again.  Instead, J.T.'s return has been illogical AND boring; and while you could look past the illogical part of it (...maybe...), once you've bored your audience, you're toast.

• Members

Why?  You didn't like Killary's and Devon's Prom story? 

Next week - another great actress - GT/Phyliss goes to the Gyno to get her teeth checked, and finds out she's got 2 cavities named Billy and Jack.  It's 2 holes in her leaving no hope of real depth.  These 2 actors suck the life out of actresses.  Kill one actor off, and send the other back to General Hospital.  Please.  This "Billy" has been as awful as Billy Miller has been on GH.  God Awful. 

• Members

Technically the Prom scenes were not an actual story, but a brief interlude.  They didn't occupy weeks and weeks of airtime, only to fall completely flat.

I had no problem with the prom scenes, they didn't take much airtime and it was at least an attempt to connect the show with something that is actually taking place in the real world. 

My issue with the prom stuff is that Y&R has no young cast to have a proper prom story.  With the Glow By Jabot kids, it would've been an actual story that culminated on prom night. Then, there was a group of characters, not just one or two.

Even during Cricket and Nina's time, you'd have a small group.  Going back to Traci, Lauren, Danny, etc., you had, at least a small group of characters.

Hillary and Devon were stuck in there to fill the obvious gaps of not having any actual age-appropriate characters, other than Shauna and the Ashby twins.

The prom stuff was meant to be a glorified filler, not much thought went into it. 

The sad thing about the DV storyline is that someone actually thought this concept through and decided that this was the best they could come up with.

• Members

When JT was here, the ratings were flopping. 

Agree with this. Mal, like Pratt, focuses on the characters he wants to write for to the exclusion of good compelling story. Sally was also guilty. I miss the days where writers told a complete story and played all the beats. Is there any wonder why the show was richer with more depth then?! 

• Members

I thought that scene with Hilary/Lily was amusing. I enjoyed today's show. I liked seeing a lot of the characters interact especially at the Hamilton Winters BBQ.

I liked seeing Faith talk with Nick and Sharon. I am glad she told them how she really feels about them getting back together. I can understand why she's concerned about them getting back together when they have done that before and failed. I also enjoyed her talking and bonding with Mariah and interacting with Victor. Faith is a great character.

I also thought that the Shauna/Charlie moment was sweet today. Glad to see their young  romance is blossoming. Devon/Hilary had nice moments today as well. 

And I wonder when it will be revealed for sure who edited Charlie's footage. Both Victor and Kyle are still acting like they didn't do it. Kyle was threatening Charlie today about it even though he put the wheels in motion when he gave the footage to Ravi. He also deserves some comeuppance for that and for not being loyal to really anybody in his family.

• Members

Maybe down the line he might get some comeuppance for his lack of loyalty to his family. But right now it doesn't look like he will.  They way he has treated them has been disgraceful (outside of Dina somewhat) and there is no justification for it. I think that Victor doesn't really respect him because of how he treats his family (even Jack). Victor is about loyalty and Kyle doesn't show that to anybody but himself. He's nothing like say Abby who can show loyalty to multiple people at a time.

Abby has shown loyalty to Ashley but will still show love and support for Jack even after he wronged Ashley. She acts like she loves her family, even when they mess up. Kyle doesn't do that. I'm not sure who will be revealed to have doctored the footage, but the show keeps having Victor/Kyle deny it so maybe they actually didn't do it. 

I also wonder if Kyle will stop pursuing Tessa now that he knows the truth about her and Mariah. I think they are going to keep having him interact with different women. He was even flirting with Victoria today and even Mattie was gawking over him, (I thought it was kind of amusing how Charlie pulled her away from him.) I think that the actor is very good at flirting with different women on the show and they will keep having him do that for a bit.

• Members

5-14-18

Was that an old sound cue in the scenes where Jack is thinking about John Abbott and the baseball? It didn't sound like anything new and was differently caught off guard. 

I have to admit that I like they appear to be playing the beats in the Jack-is-not-an-Abbott story.

I also love Sharon playing cat and mouse with Phyllis re:Shick.

• Members

I noticed that the show had everyone gaeking over Kyle. It was a bit overkill Imo. They don't have to convince us he has a hot body. We've got eyes. Lol

Did you notice Tessa and Matilda in the background seemingly flirting? I say seemingly because of body language and Matilda useing the move hair from her face move yet didn't have hair to put behind her ear. It had to be intentional. No? 

• Members

So on a big holiday weekend, Devon gives employees at the GCAC a day off? Huh???  That’s just what those staying at a packed hotel want — a skeletal staff.

The bbq set looked good and was effective, but I sure do question those enormous teal vases lining the short wall. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

MM looks great, but I’m not sure this ladykiller/gigolo/lothario thing is going to work with Kyle. If there is any version of Kyle that reads as gay, it’s this one. It wasn’t believable AT ALL that he thought Mariah and Tessa together was hot.

Archived