Y&R May 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Playing catch up again:

I enjoy Hillary/Phyllis. I like that Phyllis has her back. MM/GT have great chemistry. 

I'm slowly warming up to millennial Kyle. 

Although I'm still disappointed with JT being "killed off," I'm enjoying the soapy element of Phyllis/Nikki/Victoria/Sharon.

The Victor/Neil scenes were surprisingly well done and poignant. First time I enjoyed Neil since his return.

Lily/Cane continue to be boring. They are totally Paul/Christine 2.0. Sanctimonious together, but MILES BETTER apart.

Maddie/Reed goodbye was sweet. I liked the actor, sorry to see him go. I liked his reaction to Sharon too.

Dina mentioning all her friends are gone hit hard.

The Nikki/Victor scenes were EXCELLENT. It shows so much maturity in there relationship. Some people may scoff at the open arrangement, but at the time I think it made sense. I hope Arturo doesn't turn out to be a bad guy. He's handsome and a breath of fresh air. Nikki's probably good for a long time after having a piece of Arturo, hence why she probably agreed to go back to Victor lol

Overall, the show is a solid B for me. 

• Members

I figured out my issue with the actor playing Kyle, there's literally no nuance to his performance at all. Just straight up smarm at all times. Maybe he's being directed to play it that way, but it doesn't work for me.

Phyllis and Hilary continue to be a great friendship. Excellent chemistry between GT and MM.

• Members

Bingo.

There doesn't seem to be any depth to the actors portrayal IMO. His portrayal comes off more as a cocky spoiled high school jock than an ambitious corporate executive secretly wanting both his fathers and family's approval. 

• Members

The only reason it semi works is chemistry and the show doesn't pretend they are contemporaries. I see her more as a surrogate daughter for Phyllis than anything. 

Yes, he DID!  That haircut is working for JM. 

My great uncle recently passed away. Out of 8 siblings, there is now only 1 left. I can only imagine my great aunts loneliness as she used to talk to him every day for an hour up until the day before he passed. It's heart breaking. 

I have an affinity for older people. Hearing Dina talk about her life, even when she's confused or bragging about her whorish ways, is always poignant for me. 

• Members

Before my grandmother's passing, she was the only one left out of 16 brothers, sisters and in laws. when she died, we all said "well,  we know she's catching up with everyone upstairs." she was the last one of my grandparents era. her death marked the passing of all my elders of her generation......and I miss her and them every single day.

• Members

The show has gone to great lengths to de-SORAS Phyllis with GT in the role. It wouldn't be a problem if the show acknowledged what it was doing but instead they just gloss over it.

For instance Y&R could make a bigger deal about the growing rift between Lauren and Phyllis or by pointing out that Phyllis is acting out because she's alienated all of her bio family and her usual sparring partners have moved on with their lives.

Y&R has done everything in their power to make Philly happen and it just doesn't work. So instead Phyllis (who does NOT like women) is latching onto Hilary for continued relevancy, receiving a promotion to Jabot's board by the ex-husband she cheated on, going on random trips with Nick/Chelsea and being invited to "Girls Night" that consists of at least three women who can't stand her.

• Members

Despite the show making Phyllis younger, I don't think GT plays the friendship like contemporaries. 

Philly could work if the show played the story there. Instead, they've largely escaped any stigma of their affair and hurting jack. Which is so crazy to me. Because of that, Mal struggles to write for them. He's de-abboted jack so Billy can be the only blood Abbot on canvas. The only one to run Jabot. Maybe this will give them story. 

Archived