2018 Daytime Emmy Awards Thread

Soapsuds

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a shame Casey Moss didn't win, but I'm ecsatic for Greg Vaughan for finally getting the respect he deserves as an actor. James Reynolds winning was just the icing on the cake. That line from James about it taking 37 years or however struck a cord with me, than him shouting out his fellow POC winners was beautiful. Best speech of the night.

I was also really happy to see that Heather North was included in the In Memoriam. Who knew someone out still paid attention to people on soaps before 1985?

Getting Tracey E. Bregman, Robert Clary, and Denise Alexander as part of the Hayes' tribute was the best surprise. SSH was great in that clip of Julie yelling at Hope, and it was great to see that early Joanna scene with Lauren on Y&R. And what a random but extremely gracious act of class and kindness from Bryan Cranston. You could tell SSH was floored by that, too.

It's unfortunate that Marla Adams didn't win.

Mark Steines does not age. He looked the same as I remember him as kid over twenty years ago.

I was ready mention how much healthier Olivia Rose Keegan looked, only to find out it was her sister, who reminded me of Brittany Snow.

Chloe Lanier deserved that Emmy, not that anyone is disputing that, and it was a trip as 90's kid to see Vernee Watson win.

On a hoe note, Donnell Turner is too damn sexy to be wasting away on GH. Kristoff St. John could still get it. And Jesse Palmer looked just as fine as he did on The Bachelor, easily the hottest one.

Lastly, The Real girls winning was hilarious. One of the best moments of the night. Plus, Loni Love was always one of the best guest panelists on Chelsea Lately, so I was very happy to see her win. On a side note, I had no idea Eve is co-hosting The Talk these days. Guess that's her music career over.

• Members

I really do prefer to watch the Daytime Emmys via YouTube - so easy to skip through all the crap.

I was thrilled for Eileen Davidson (whose reel I really liked, the GH ladies split their own vote) and James Reynolds (not for his reel, but for surviving at DAYS as long as he has). I really liked the tribute to Bill Hayes and Susan Seaforth Hayes: considering Bill is in his 90s he certainly ascribes to modern thought. Deirdre Hall looked great in that suit. 

I was disappointed for Marla Adams, but again all those Y&R nominees in the category split that vote. Suzanne Rogers looked beautiful presenting that award and she remains a lithe dancer as she dashed up the stairs when DAYS won. I was also disappointed for Casey Moss who had the best reel and the best work of his young career. 

The GH and Y&R tributes were lacklustre but the GH clips were miles ahead of the Y&R clips. At least GH had most of its vets and best remembered moments. Y&R had the strangest mix - basically ignoring all of the 1980s and 1990s and early 2000s. Pathetic. It's interesting that in most of Y&R's 45th anniversary promotion material they've relied heavily on Jess Walton and Jeanne Cooper's scenes - the powers that be know they are the audiences' touchstone. I'd like to see Brad and Lauralee Bell overthrow management of the show - they have their parents' charm.

Mark Steines doesn't age. Nancy O'Dell's hairstyle doesn't either.

Joely Fisher cannot sing and that in memoriam was garbage.

• Members

James Reynolds is now the oldest actor at the time of his Daytime Emmy win (71 years, 262 days). He is the second Daytime Emmy acting winner that was over age 70 at the time of their win (the late Jeanne Cooper won 2008 Lead Actress at 79 years, 239 days).

2018 was the first year in which two of the acting categories had Black winners. There are now 12 Black Daytime Emmy winning actors/actresses: the late Al Freeman Jr.(1979 Lead Actor), Darnell Williams (1983 Supporting Actor and 1985 Lead Actor), Debbi Morgan (tied 1989 Supporting Actress), Kristoff St. John (1992 Younger Actor and 2008 Supporting Actor), Monti Sharp (1993 Younger Actor), Kevin Mambo (1996 and 1997 Younger Actor), Shemar Moore (2000 Supporting Actor), Bryton James (2007 Younger Actor), Christel Khalil (2012 Younger Actress), Sean Blakemore (2016 Supporting Actor), James Reynolds (2018 Lead Actor), Rome Flynn (2018 Younger Actor).  Lead Actress remains the only acting category without a Black winner. Debbi Morgan is the only Black nominee in the Lead Actress category (nominated in 2009, 2011, 2012).

Eileen Davidson joins Susan Flannery and Maura West as the Lead Actress winners who won for two different shows.

Camryn Grimes is the first winner in the Supporting category that was born in the 1990s. Camryn also holds the record for being the youngest winner at the time of their Daytime Emmy win (2000 Younger Actress at 10 years, 133 days) and was the first Daytime Emmy winner born in the 1990s. 

The five youngest living Daytime Emmy winning actors are now Rome Flynn (26), Bryan Craig (26), Chandler Massey (27), Freddie Smith (30), and Chad Duell (30). The five youngest living Daytime Emmy winning actresses are now True O'Brien (24), Hunter King (24), Chloe Lanier (25), Lexi Ainsworth (25), and Kristen Alderson (26).

• Members

It actually makes my blood boil and it explains a helluva lot as to why daytime is where it is today.  

SSH basically made a plea for daytime soaps to reflect the world that we actually live in.  That call will go unheeded as we get more buried alive and faked pregnancy stories. Daytime dramas should have progressed much father than they have by now.

I loved seeing all those Doug & Julie clips. The Hayes are amazing. I loved SSH impassioned speech. I loved the looks of disappointment from Easton and Miller. When James Reynolds was announced winner Liz and Martha were also great. I love the passion that both Liz and Susan have for soaps. I only wish TPTP had that passion too. 

Archived