Old TV clips - misc.

DRW50

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Rhonda Shear (of USA's Up All Night, a show I loved at this time), Judy Tenuta, Lainie Kazan, an American Gladiator, and a woman who claims to be Hedda Hopper's great-granddaughter and a psychic friend. 

It's about as car crash as it sounds. 

• Members

I've been watching a lot of these the last few hours. This one is one of the more true to life, in how Mama can't stop going on and on about the same details, retelling them in different ways to suit her feeling at the time. 

I notice that some of the later sketches are more and more serious, and darker, leading up to the bleak and heartbreaking TV-movie. I know this was based on Carol's mother and grandmother but I wonder if as she got older she started using Eunice more and more to deal with some of her psychological baggage/attempts at healing. She must have felt hurt at the show and characters sort of being taken away from her with Mama's Family becoming popular in syndication. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

SHe deserved a better show than one written by a novelty songwriter, but I've always loved this performance.

Ed Sullivan (SOFA Entertainment owns the rights I think) *really* needs to do something with the hours they have of brilliant musical theatre performances.  A lot of us theatre geeks have bootleg copies of the stuff (when I was a teen one of the first bootlegs I got was a present of 8 VHS tapes filled with them--all with a timestamp like this has), and most of it is on Youtube if you look hard enough though SOFA has been known to every few years wipe them all out.  They release ONE hour long DVD (with promises of more) with a few of the iconic ones, but it would be great to have them in the best possible quality (unlike the soaps and so much other TV, I believe every episode of Ed Sullivan, at least from 1955 on, was saved on video).  Just so many gems, and so often recreated with the original costumes, staging and choreography and some remnants of the original scenery for shows and performances that otherwise would be completely lost. 

• Members

Oh Hugh, calling Debbie Reynolds' appearance "bland"!  The Debbie Reynolds Show was one of three attempts by creator Jess Oppenheimer to recreate his success on I Love Lucy with sitcoms around a bored wife and her schemes/fantasies based around a minor female celeb (Angel, and Glynis being the other two).  His son, Greg Oppenheimer, has a YT channel and has uploaded high quality copies of some of his father's stuff, including a ton of episodes of Angel (1960-61) which actually reversed the I Love Lucy concept a bit by making the wife the foreigner who mixes up English words and expressions.  Watch at your own wish (I wish they'd upload some of Glynis if only because I adore Glynis Johns...) 

All I've ever found of Glynis (she played a mystery writer who helped her husband solve mysteries)

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members
This is a trip--Camille Paglia is apparently a soap opera fan and here she is talking about them (and promoting her book which mentions them) back in 1994. Like with most of Paglia's controversial feminism (or anti-feminism as some might say) I kinda agree with her in theory but I don't agree with her very unflinching, black or white take on soaps (she says she admires Agnes Nixon but thinks she's the worst thing to happen to soaps as they should be ALL about the "sleazy" sexual power of female archetypes and not have any dealings with social issues at all--and feels Y&R is the only soap that still does that--ignoring I guess how badly Bill Bell used to do social storylines). Still it's a hilarious and interesting clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwYLVKsRtQ

Dang dunno why it's only coming up as a link

Edited by EricMontreal22

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the piece. Read the Wiki where it's mentioned that Simon's wife's early death brought about his exploration of more serious issues in his plays. Did you watch Fosse/Verdon? I don't think we even have a thread about it here. At any rate, I highly recommend it and the Verdon-Fosses' relationship with the Simons is rather prominently featured. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Rare footage of the original London cast of Les Misérables performing at the 1985 Olivier Awards.

In order of appearance: Patti LuPone (Fantine), Colm Wilkinson (Jean Valjean), Frances Ruffelle (Eponine), Michael Ball (Marius), Rebecca Caine (Cosette), David Burt (Enjolras), Alun Armstrong (Thenardier), Susan Jane Tanner (Madame Thenardier) and Roger Allam (Javert)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...