ChitHappens

OWN picks up Jamey Giddens scripted show!

I just wonder when OWN will cut the crap and put out a GOOD series for a change.  Because, you KNOW Miss O would LOVE for her network to have a quality hit on its' hands to give them some much-needed prestige.

50 minutes ago, xtr said:

I agree. I want to see Jamey do well, and I am glad to see that some people in the soap community are showing support for him (including Ron Carlivati and Eileen Davidson.) I wonder how this show will end up faring. Robin Givens character does seem OTT, but maybe Essence Atkins character as her ex-best friend/rival can provide some balance to that. From what I saw in that preview Essence's character doesn't seem OTT and seems like she may be a bit more grounded, so maybe that will help.

I have no desire to see Jamey do well or fail.  Just give me a good soap.  I don't think I will like this show, but I will give it a shot.  

35 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

It's hard for me to cheer on Jamey when I feel he's done as much disservice to the soap community with his biases than anyone else has.

That, and jugging by this trailer, this looks like pretty generic trash that would make the waning years of Dynasty looks like masterpiece theater. I guess it's a perfect compliment to the Tyler Perry crap on OWN though. 

Yes!  When Miller and Staff left YR, Jamie was very vocal but that was all because he didn't get a writing job on the show.  His rage was not genuine at all.  

I didn't like the trailer so I doubt I will like the show.  

I haven't had cable in years so I won't be watching.  All of you who watch will have to post your thoughts on this show as I'm curious.

Years ago, I thought Robin Givens might have made a good Catwoman, perhaps just after Michelle Pfeiffer played her.  The saga of the Catwoman spinoff development limbo is a story I'd rather not spend time on, lol. But back in Given's heyday, I could have imagined her playing that role and the movie could've capitalized on her infamy.  Oh well.

I mean, the trailer wasn't horrible but it was definitely camp. My question is why does it look like it was shot on video like The Haves and Have Nots? Makes it look cheaper than it has to.

My feelings about Jamey are complicated and are upthread. I do think he's matured a fair bit. The show doesn't necessarily look very mature, but it still looks better than THAHN.

I love Robin Givens. I have no complaints about her. She's doing what she excels at.

55 minutes ago, Khan said:

I just wonder when OWN will cut the crap and put out a GOOD series for a change.  Because, you KNOW Miss O would LOVE for her network to have a quality hit on its' hands to give them some much-needed prestige.

Queen Sugar is excellent. And I didn't dislike Greenleaf but I lost track in S1.

Edited by Vee

Speaking of Oprah and Robin, maybe Oprah should try her hand at recreating a weekly series based on The Women of Brewster Place again with a brand new cast.

God knows BET and BET Her air the hell out of that miniseries at different points throughout the year. It's one of the very few miniseries that's managed to live on long after its initial run. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

I still need to see if Boomerang is good.

Camp works best if you play ridiculous stories and situations in a grounded way....when you over play it, it leaves a bad taste.

Essence atkins i recall being a more subtle actress so i hope she can ground this.

This show debuts tonight at 10pm EST on OWN. I am going to try and check it out. Also Jamey tweeted that Ric Hearst will be on the premiere tonight. I wonder what other soap alum may end up on this show, especially if it becomes successful.

Matt Cedeno who was Brandon Walker On DOOL, Has a role on Ambitions

Rick looks great with that mop of white

I like the activist sister from the promo but Robin Givens ruins this for me.  She's not the bad ass I'm looking for and hasn't an ounce of subtlety! 

Image result for it's a no from me

I love Robin Givens but I really hope the show doesn't look like it's shot on video like some of the promos.

That's well-played by Jamey Giddens.  Rick Hearst has never not been good in whatever he's in.  Remember when Hearst played a character named Whipple?  He was even good in that. 

I don't subscribe to cable so I won't be watching but I hope it goes well- a lot of jobs on the line if it doesn't.

From what I understand the first episode will be officially posted on YouTube. Since Rick Hearst actually moved to Atlanta having him on this show is extremely logical.