Y&R Promo: Week of April 9, 2018

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tried to tamp down my criticisms of Mal because others were enjoying his work so much but I can't even pretend to take this  sh*t with any degree of seriousness anymore. 

Hey, why not have Mariah and Tessa get into it and Mariah bonks Tessa and Tessa falls down a hill and goes bye bye and then have Sharon and Nikki come out and bury her--they might as well go for the Triple Crown.

I would say Victoria owes them a turn at the shovel but she's already on too much as it is.

I'm sorry but this is a poor man's version of Big Little Lies, Pretty Little Liars and any half-way decent similar story on prime time and any 2nd year grad student in writing can do better.

MY and the rest of them need to take some courses in basic dramatic writing.

This is bad.

Sally's boring as* wasn't this bad.

• Members

SMH

Not that I thought it was boring.

But I agree with you on everything else. And while lately I've been enjoying Y&R a lot for the first time since SS was writing, that doesn't mean I don't see things I don't like.

In any case, I would love to see your opinion personally as one writer to another so keep up with the criticisms.

• Members

That and I was thinking of when Jane and Sydney buried Patrick Muldoon's character Richard alive on Melrose Place. Which was actually written by Pratt, I'm surprised he didn't write something similar during his tenure. 

WHY is Phyllis there anyways?!!?

Either way it's a disgusting waste of JT. 

Pretty much. I'll most likely watch but I'll see where this lands as I was hoping Young wouldn't actually go down the Latham/MAB&Co./Pratt route. So much a for a 45th Anniversary story!

Agreed!

• Members

Yes. Clear from December when JT arrived on-screen and TL did multiple interviews:

CBS.com interview
We'd talked about doing it a couple of times after I left. I was always doing other things, whether it was producing or acting, so it sort of kept me from being able to come back for a reasonable amount of time and actually do a story. So this time it just worked out. I had a good block of time [free].

Soap Digest:

At first, I didn’t think it would work out, but it just happened to coordinate with my schedule in between films, and after talking for quite a while about it, it sounded like fun, so here I am.

• Members

Let me just rephrase it.  The "knock" on SS was that she was boring (and yes, I did make fun) because she had quite a few 'filler' conversations/episodes during her tenure where seemingly the same conversations got repeated often.  To be fair, MY has had moments of redundancy over the last year too.  

SS achieved quite a few important accomplishments as we've all discussed on this board previously, like the return of a fuller, more relevant Abbott family, resetting Sharon's character, having Neil and Devon try to create their own family business, introducing the idea of 'couples therapy' (Lily & Cane) into the GC landscape, etc.

Honestly, I did criticize the dropping of the Fenmore's situation.  I hated the relatively quick resolution that Jabot got such a large stake in the company and Fenmore's struggle was seemingly over. 

While I believe that there was so much more storyline to be written, I don't know what BTS pressures may have been at stake to abruptly end certain storylines for some characters in favor of others that featured certain other characters.

I also believe that MY co-opted one or two of SS's stories that was left on the "table" after she left.  Like the Rainbow Gardens affordable housing storyline.  It just seems to be more in keeping with HWG's stated goals of bringing opportunities to more women and minorities.  As I said in the Y&R discussion thread,  who was more likely to have lived in low-income housing, Nick or Devon?  But MY likely saw that Nick had little to do, especially when they were informed that MCE was leaving.  So the Rainbow Gardens story went to Nick and since MY knew that it was unlikely to be much of a story with some conflict, he put Nikki in there with a blossoming affair with Arturo the contractor.  You cannot convince me otherwise.

All writing regimes have their failing.  Josh Griffiths, who I thought was pretty decent in many aspects during his tenure also made some pretty bad flubs with some (mostly) female characters.  One example being that he passed up the opportunity to give Lauren a much needed break from Michael and caved to fanbase pressure and instead of making Carmine a multi-dimensional character who Lauren developed genuine feelings for and would be conflicted about staying in her marriage, Griffiths went the soap trope route and made Lauren a victim (for the 50th time in the character's run).  That drove to want to scream (or at least a dull roar).

MY showed some promise, he tried some new things, I mostly liked his use of some relatively realistic-looking exterior scenes but he has also mostly reverted back to the most tired, washed-up soap tropes and stealing in such an obvious way from primetime shows in a way that makes following some of these recent storylines feel more like a waste of time in the end.

• Members

Looking at the promo again looks like they bury J.T. in Katherine Chancellor memorial gardens. I wonder if they end up pouring concrete over his grave, or just end up planting a garden there

Please register in order to view this content

It's both funny and sad what the show has become. 

Is Megan McTavish ghostwriting this show?

Archived