Days: April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just seeing the beginning of Friday's show and Papa Bear got caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Lawd why are they writing Papa Bear so horribly? From a total ass to a teenager snicking in to have sex with another guy. I will say he sure forgot about Will quickly with that big grin on his face. At least I didn't have to see GR in bed with Papa Bear.

• Members

"Gabby" singing and playing the piano as Stefan watches lovingly. This is a joke, right?

Serious question - does anyone like Claire? Is anyone watching this storyline and thinking, "This is a good character. I like her"? Does anyone actually like her for her and not just because "well she's better than Ciara"? I didn't mind her at first but at this point there's nothing to the character besides being completely self absorbed. I cannot stand watching her.

Also the other day Sonny had a (joking) line about how he's off carbs and it made me think of everyone here.

• Members

+1

Please register in order to view this content

I wouldn't necessarily call him "fat". As someone who's weight fluctuates the same 10-20 pounds, I can relate to him a bit. It's called "pudgy" I think he has trouble with this. Of course shallow and selfishly I'd like a hard body and a six pack but an average guy who still looks cute isn't the worst. YMMV of course

Oddly, I'm with you on the 'bad breath' thing LOL

I think Ciara, Tripp and Claire are all massively written terribly. Claire switches personalities to fit the plot. Ciara is so far up Rafe's behind I'm losing interest in her, and I love the actress playing her. Tripp is bordering on Austin Reed boring territory at this point. They all should be written so much better than this. It would help if Claire had more scenes with her parents or grandparents. Massively help.

The problem is writers don't tend to bother to explain a character's motivation anymore. It's all usually flimsy. Claire occasionally gets a talk with Julie. But there needs to be more. Tripp and Ciara get enough airtime with their parents so I definitely feel more connected to them. I WANT to like Claire, but they make it very hard. Unfortunately, and not all, but many girls her age are like this. It's slightly realistic. It's just not very likeable. Better writing and integration with the vets would help. That's why no budget, filming schedules and episode guarantees are a massive problem with the show at the moment. You can only use certain actors and characters in their own stories because of guarantees so they aren't involved in other stories where their presence makes sense. It leaves a disjointed show. This is also why characters need friends. It helped when JJ had Bev and Rory. Claire should be confiding in her gay BFF Henri. It's always so refreshing when family and friends interact and it's like characters are totally different. For example, Brady with John was LOOOOONG overdue.

And I tried watching this week. Stefan is beyond a creep. He needs help for falling in love with an alternate personality. Lawd. So skeevy. And Chad's a total moron. I'm tired of Chad and Gabi too. Send them all away for a while and give me Shawn, Belle and Philip.

• Members

The show teeters on being a hot mess. But directing, acting, and dialog -- all above average most days.  But.....all the plots have major problems:  Lani/pregnancy: she's completely unsympathetic and lying to JJ after attempted suicide makes her even more unlikable.  Ditto for Eli.  Valerie is the only one who broke rules and yet is likable and actions understandable. JJ is totally boring.  Where to begin with the DID plot: Marci is so fierce and some of the daily turns are fun, but using this device to get Tyler's character in the mix was a bad idea.  His character comes across as gross, stupid and desperate. If I were Tyler, I'd be pissed.  Billy Flynn's hunkiness and sometimes great acting (when he cries I melt) is being completely wasted; he's completely ball-less in this story.  Gabi being framed is even more lame and having Stefan involved in kidnapping the doctor who can help Abby recover is absurd. Another new character commits a felony and will get a way with it.  Ciara and Tripp are cute together but Claire in one way phone conversations with Theo is not compelling. You don't write these kinds of boring scenes for a green actress such as Olivia.  She's the last of the previous regime of bad casting who has to go. And the "John poisons Steve" so he goes blind plot is, hands down, the worst plot, since well since the last bad one.  The gay storyline is deflated, flat and uninteresting.  Amnesia Will could have been written so differently. What if his new identity hued more towards Sami's vindictive, scheming, manipulator but with that boyish charm.  I think Chandler could have handled it and it would have made more sense having him play both Sonny (rich) and Paul (sexy), manipulate his two grandmas.. getting into the DiMera mix with Chad and Abby, making his character central i.e. the new Sami  Having him on three times a month is a complete disappointment.  I think it's nearly impossible to write long story nearly a year in advance.  I know Marland, Slesar and Nixon did it but they would tweak, change and add beats.  I don't think there's a writer around who can make Days work with the shoe string budget and advance shooting schedule. I will say: the costumes, lighting and directing (most days) continue to improve.  They are lucky to have McKinsey and Shaughnessy.  

• Members

The only thing I can say about this gay story (which, surprise surprise, is still badly written, pointless, and poorly acted even with the "real" Will back) is that at least people now finally get to see what Greg Rikaart is like playing a gay character. The answer, not surprisingly, is just as asexual as he was playing a straight character. 

Archived