Taoboi

Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, ajsp35801 said:

I don't see the care. I've watched soaps almost 3 decades. I KNOW when soaps want me to love and root for a female character. It doesn't look like this. Even when the character was a [!@#$%^&*] stirring screw up or even vixen, I could always tell that I was supposed to feel for her and root for her. It never looked like this. Every story Hilary has had since the actress came back from  her maternity leave has felt very close to an exit story to me. It's all designed for fans to hate her and root for whoever else she's sharing screen time with. 

With that said, I do think that her writing  is mostly a creative choice based on need. I agree that tptb think Mishael can play anything. But they use her to spark stories around canvas for what they see as more important characters at the expense of Hilary's development and progression. At one point they had her in things that didn't even make sense because they needed someone to drive it. As I said earlier, they've now got Kyle to drive story for Abbots and Newmans hence Hilary isn't in their orbit as much anymore. While her writing is a creative decision, they only made it because they don't give a damn about the character. If they did, she wouldn't be used in that capacity. 

I’ve watched soaps for decades, too, so we’re even there.

i just don’t have to love and root for a character to want him or her on my screen. Even when I don’t like Hilary, I still care enough about her to want her around. I would miss Hilary/MM if she were gone, so the actress is doing something right and the show isn’t writing Hilary so that we HATE her.

For a show that doesn’t “give a damn about the character,” they sure as hell write a lot for her. 

I just dont think Hilary needs the sympathy and anguish she gets here. 

On 4/27/2018 at 4:37 PM, Antoyne said:

Hilary is there so the Winters have a punching bag and can be morally superior to someone. She was my favorite for a long time but the writing for her has killed that. MM is a talent, but even still she can’t save the awful writing they continuously throw at her.

I felt the same way about Hillary but watching her last week and reading May sweep's spoilers has got me rooting for her. I don't know why.

12 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

Sharon remembered having flashbacks of rough, violent sex she had while hiding away in Denver and hoped that nobody would ever find out.(Case walked on contract negotiations, thus Sharon was gone for like three months after the Victor kiss) Next thing you know, Cameron pops up into town and starts blackmailing Sharon about the "affair" and went he attempted to rape her she bludgeoned him with a champagne bottle and threw his body into a dumpster. Next thing you know Grace Turner of all people showed up in town looking for her beau Cameron. Aside from Sharon and Nikki in the sewers and Larry the Wart Man secretly helping Sharon out,  the story went downhill into absurdity from there. 

But he did beat her after they had sex in Denver, correct? We found this out after she killed him. Prior to her killing him, we didn't know that detail. 

9 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

I’ve watched soaps for decades, too, so we’re even there.

i just don’t have to love and root for a character to want him or her on my screen. Even when I don’t like Hilary, I still care enough about her to want her around. I would miss Hilary/MM if she were gone, so the actress is doing something right and the show isn’t writing Hilary so that we HATE her.

For a show that doesn’t “give a damn about the character,” they sure as hell write a lot for her. 

I just dont think Hilary needs the sympathy and anguish she gets here. 

I thought we'd said why Hilary's on and agreed.  She's useful and they trust the actress. They don't have to care about hilary to recognize that and write for her. They only have to care about keeping their own job. 

Interesting that you say you don't have to love or like a character to want them around. I don't doubt that's true. But I don't think for a second that the show believes it. Every EP or writer's pet whom they want around gets writing that screams "love this character". So I'm going to conclude that viewers  liking/loving a character matters to them being kept around on the show. That they are doing the total opposite with Hilary tells me they don't care. 

As for being written to be hated, even the so called soap press and bloggers are saying that the show is doing just that. They have openly said it is off for Hilary alone as well as for her romance with Devon and written for people to dislike her and root against them. I realize my love for the character  might make  me see things through an unobjective lens. But for so many people to also say this, surely its something to it. At the very least, claims can't easily be dismissed. 

I'm seeing some dislike for Devon being expressed as well. Both characters are being written pretty poorly, IMO.

As for the 'rootable' quality, haven't soaps openly courted this formula since the 80s? Wasn't that most of the premise behind the supercouple idea?

I mean, Hilary's not even being written as a proper vixen right now.  

Edited by DramatistDreamer

16 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I'm seeing some dislike for Devon being expressed as well. Both characters are being written pretty poorly, IMO.

As for the 'rootable' quality, haven't soaps openly courted this formula since the 80s? Wasn't that most of the premise behind the supercouple idea?

I mean, Hilary's not even being written as a proper vixen right now.  

Devon is written so OOC to push this plot. Since when would Devon Hamilton mistreat any woman carrying his child to the point of walking past ignoring  her. Or insist she speak about their private matter in front of a woman he barely knows. 

The only people who dislike Devon atm are people who care about Hilary. Everyone else is rooting him on glorying in him "finally seeing her for what she is". Which you can't blame them because that's what the show has written them to want for the last 2.5 years. 

Anyone who witnessed the writing for SBu's Dylan knows that loving and rooting for a character matters. JFP would have nothing less for her boy. 

Edited by ajsp35801

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:49 PM, Ponds said:

I'm questioning Sharon's latest guilt problems.  Didn't she and Nikki put a dead man (that I think Sharon killed) into a sewer?

Yup, the body ended up being Frank, Cassie's Bio Dad, given ALL the "deaths" Sharon has been involved in , directly or indirectly, her guilt is selective lol

16 hours ago, ajsp35801 said:

Devon is written so OOC to push this plot. Since when would Devon Hamilton mistreat any woman carrying his child to the point of walking past ignoring  her. Or insist she speak about their private matter in front of a woman he barely knows. 

The only people who dislike Devon atm are people who care about Hilary. Everyone else is rooting him on glorying in him "finally seeing her for what she is". Which you can't blame them because that's what the show has written them to want for the last 2.5 years. 

Anyone who witnessed the writing for SBu's Dylan knows that loving and rooting for a character matters. JFP would have nothing less for her boy. 

Actually, some of us just don't like Devon because he's boring and played by an uncharismatic actor. Don't assume anything about anyone or their opinion.

2 hours ago, SteelCity said:

Actually, some of us just don't like Devon because he's boring and played by an uncharismatic actor. Don't assume anything about anyone or their opinion.

Ditto!

7 hours ago, SteelCity said:

A) I'm not assuming anything. 

B. ) Like the person I responded to, I'm going by what I've seen

C) We were speaking in context to the current story and writing. I'm seeing people who love the character hating on him. Of course, people who just dislike Devon for whatever reasons they've developed in their head anyway aren't included. Much like those who despise Hilary's existence even when her writing is good aren't included. 

4 hours ago, Aback said:

Ditto!

See my previous response. 

Edited by ajsp35801

1 hour ago, ajsp35801 said:

A) I'm not assuming anything. 

B. ) Like the person I responded to, I'm going by what I've seen

C) We were speaking in context to the current story and writing. I'm seeing people who love the character hating on him. Of course, people who just dislike Devon for whatever reasons they've developed in their head anyway aren't included. Much like those who despise Hilary's existence even when her writing is good aren't included. 

See my previous response. 

Well, perhaps you shouldn't generalize.