Stars who didn't conquer TV

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, agreed. Even in those times, viewers understood on some level that the Paul Lyndes and Charles Nelson Reillys were not the marrying kind.

Moving on..

Tammy Grimes was a hot property after Broadway success with Unsinkable Molly Brown. She was offered the lead in Bewitched but instead went with her own sitcom.

The Tammy Grimes show was one of the all time bombs up till that time,  taken off after a few episodes which was unprecedented in that era

Image result for tammy grimes show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Despite Bing Crosby's years of success as singer and actor in radio and movies and successful TV specials, his 1964 sitcom failed.

Image result for bing crosby showAnd Gene Kellys only foray into TV series was 'Going My Way' (1962) based on Bing's much loved 1944 movie.

Image result for going my way tv series

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

if memory serves, Pryor ended the show himself because he and NBC were into it every single week about content. he started one episode saying he had lost nothing in his dealings with NBC, only to be shown wearing a flesh colored body suit that gave off the impressions his privates were cut off. NCS S&P fought him on that. it was the same thing for Delta House, a 1979 sitcom based on Animal House. they were in the top 10 but the Producer got tired of fighting ABC and cancelled it himself.

Oh my. Madam Sin. where she would launch plan after plan to take over the world. the pilot was DREADFUL. 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Members

Oh, I loved "Sibs" sooooo much.  It had everything: a terrific cast (Mason, Margaret Colin, Jami Gertz, Dan Castellaneta, Alex Rocco), terrific writers (creator Heide Perlman, Jim Brooks, Sam Simon) and a REALLY terrific theme song (by George "Atomic Dog" Clinton) that I still sing/hum to this day.

I thought "Sibs" had tremendous potential.  Unfortunately, it came along at a time when the TV zeitgeist was blue-collar shows like "Roseanne" and "Home Improvement."  (Plus, rumors suggest that Mason had a falling out with Brooks, although I don't know how true those rumors are).

RE: "Good Sports" ~ Ironically, O'Neal BEGGED Farrah to be on the show; yet, I think Farrah, rather than O'Neal, turned out to be the better actor for the project.  I'm not saying Farrah was another Candice Bergen, but she was certainly funnier than her then-partner.  Years later, I asked Paul Feig, who had co-starred on the show, about GS.  Apparently, working with Ryan O'Neal and Farrah Fawcett was nothing short than a nightmare for everyone involved.

Speaking of "Sibs," someone uploaded the premiere episode, "The Naked and the Damned," on YT last month:

Edited by Khan