Stars who didn't conquer TV

• Members

Alicia's was Miss Match - I think I may have watched that. I believe it was one of those canceled after one episode.

In a way I think it's sad Alicia only really had one hit, but she is such a unique presence and also so rooted to the '90s that she was probably lucky to have that one.

Dolly's show was a big, expensive flop, yes. She also had a brief show in the late '70s that was just her singing - I think it ran a year or two. Probably the biggest success of the second one was that it started Tyne Daly's musical career.

The Nathan one I was thinking of was Encore Encore. I'd forgotten he had a later one...

I know she got her start in TV, but I guess given her main success was in films, we should count Lee Grant as well, especially since it only stayed on as long as it did because she called the network out on Johnny Carson.

I've always felt reluctant to say it because everyone loves her and I also felt so bad for her when she suffered those horrific injuries on The Good Wife, but I've never really "gotten" Chenoweth. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I actually had forgot about Encore Encore it was one of many flops on NBC that season along with Al Franken's LateLine. The second sitcom had Lane basically playing himself as a gay Congressman and ended up being unfunny and dull in spite of some controversial hype attached to it. 

• Members

Bette Davis had several tries at a series. Something piloted in the late 50s ,cant recall the details.

Then the infamous and horrendous 'The Decorator' in the mid 60s. Check it out on YouTube if you can.

Later on The Judge and Jake Wyler and I think the TV movie 'Madame Sin was a pilot.

Finally Hotel, but then she had the stroke and pulled out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7J2I9LxSF0

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

She was also in "Grand," which started off okay, but lost steam fast when the producers made too many changes both to its cast (I seem to recall a tornado wiping out a bunch of folks) and its format (removing the continuing storylines for traditional, self-contained sitcom stories).

From what little I've been able to see (and read -- a blogger named Jackson Upperco posted a script that he purchased from eBay), "Fay" seemed like a very promising show.  Unfortunately, I think it was a victim of the "family hour" that all the networks had begun to impose on their lineups.  When it WAS cancelled, Lee Grant went on Carson and ranted about it, calling the NBC president "the Mad Programmer," or something to that effect.

Oh, well.  At least she got an Emmy nomination.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels (or felt) the Richard Dreyfuss love.

I still think he's capable of doing supporting work on a good sitcom or drama.  I think it's just a matter of finding the right script with the right cast and producers.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Jimmy also had a Mystery Movie 'Hawkins' that didn't work either.

Must mention Lana Turner and her infamous disaster'The Survivors'. Later on her stint on Falcon Crest brought the show its best ratings to that time. Don't think Jane Wyman was thrilled...

Image result for lana turner the survivors

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Tony-winner and singer Melba Moore had a self-titled sitcom on CBS which had the misfortune to air its first episode on January 28, 1986 - the day the space shuttle Challenger exploded. Melba was immediately pulled from the schedule and the remaining five episodes aired over the summer. Gracie Harrison (Greta Powers, The Doctors, 1980-81) co-starred.