Characters that didn't survive a recast...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It wasn't Ken Corday who was smoking something funny, lol.  The Salem Stalker storyline was all James E. Reilly's idea; and depending on who's telling the story, bringing back all the victims was never part of his game plan.  IOW, JER meant for all those characters to die and to stay dead.  The plan changed only when Corday panicked and INSISTED they be brought back, which is how we ended up with the whole "Melaswen" mess.

• Members

You both are right...I stand corrected. I always forget that JER returned to DAYS and was writing Passions at the same time. I haven't read Ken Corday's book but I probably should. I'll see if my library has it.

To his credit, JER created memorable stories that often had spectacular payoffs (my favorite was in August and September 1997 when Sami's lies about faking amnesia and most importantly, Will's paternity, were uncovered when she was about to marry Austin). But I was also disturbed by how violent and misogynistic they were - but of the two soaps, Passions was much more violent and misogynistic. I guess NBC didn't care as long as they got the precious teen demographic. 😠

• Members

But why didn’t JER just quit if he was forced to bring them back.  He had the power and the clout and also could have walked with ease.  Unless him bringing DAYS up was tied to a Passions renewal.

It was clear the story changed as a viewer.  And maybe they were all supposed to stay dead.  But I can’t believe the show at that time would have allowed Marlena to be killed off too.

• Members

That's interesting, never knew that. 

Unfortunately I still have the memory of Bonnie Lockhart serving up very spicy chili to Julie and Richard Voigts' Mickey and the two getting diarrhea as a result forever etched into my brain. I guess JER forget he wasn’t writing for Beth(who crapped her pants during a confrontation with Sheridan around the same time) and her mother(who peed on Beth’s wedding dress) on Passions when he had Voigt’s Mickey Horton crap himself.

At least John Ingle brought some humor and balance to the proceedings. I had hoped Kevin Dobson would have worked out, at least he restored some freshness that I felt Mickey and Maggie had lost in the 90s and early '00s. 

• Members

Oh I don’t know.  As awful as that was (and it was truly awful), it had to be better than the near 15 years he had spent not being anything but uncle Mickey the lawyer when his family needed one.  He truly deserved better.

As someone that started watching the show in the 80’s, you would have no idea just how important he was to the show.  Dr. Horton and Alice had so much more to do than he did by that time.

Archived