Sign in to follow this  
SoapDope

Shows You Are Sick Of In Reruns

On 3/4/2018 at 11:04 AM, Faulkner said:

The younger generations are definitely losing touch with older TV shows. I was born in the ‘80s, but of course things like I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, MTM, The Bob Newhart Show, etc. were ubiquitous in reruns on local stations and on Nick at Nite. And really those are what everyone watched. Now they are only really seen on very niche channels or very rarely are on streaming but are subsumed in the sheer variety of more modern series. Granted, I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke were only 20-30 years old when I was growing up, same as Golden Girls and Friends for kids now. But I feel like there’s a whole American television heritage getting lost in the deluge of Peak TV. It’s painful when I see a discussion on Goldderby of the greatest TV shows of all time and see so many mentions of 30 Rock and so few of Mary Tyler Moore. Still, the modest success of CBS’s recent Carol Burnett retrospective with young viewers was encouraging.

The younger generations don’t watch TV at all though. It’s all about YouTube/streaming. Even if they were on TV, young people would not see them. 

3 minutes ago, juppiter said:

The younger generations don’t watch TV at all though. It’s all about YouTube/streaming. Even if they were on TV, young people would not see them. 

I realize that. My point was that older shows aren’t being seen in the glut of newer programming on streaming or aren’t available, and we’re losing something valuable because of it.

Edited by Faulkner

2 hours ago, Faulkner said:

I realize that. My point was that older shows aren’t being seen in the glut of newer programming on streaming or aren’t available, and we’re losing something valuable because of it.

I know what you mean. I was born in the 70's and syndication was full of 50/60's/70's series. Back in the 80's there was a cable channel called CBN and they reran a lot of classics shows along with game shows. One show they ran was a Screen Gems series " The Farmers Daughter" from the 60's. That show has not been seen in syndication since. Other SG series have been reran over and over except that one. 

Right now, I am just sick of the same old commercials on these channels - Coppertone Gloves, Jitterbug, Smartcover, etc. Yes, I know that those are the commercials for this kind of channel, but I wish they'd shake things up once in awhile. Even Viking Cruises would be an improvement.