Y&R March 2018 Discussion

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just because the show does it doesn't make it so TO ME. I have always gotten the complaints about the death of Colleen, Cassie, John, etc. I do not get the complaints about JT. 

And again, weren't you or weren't you not saying for weeks that the abusive and controlling writing for JT was OOC? 

Bingo. At least to CBS. And after all that energy Y&R and CBS put into having the cast push today's show on social media. 

It's nice to see AMcD push the show. She'd been silent on it for a year it seems. 

• Members

Thank you. I like the way the story is being written (that is hard for me to write because it is a difficult story), because it is very subtle. The verbal abuse is not overt, but we recognize it because we are spectators. 

Completely agree with you. This week has been FASCINATING to watch. If the show is going to be this upbeat, then I'm happy they are going to deliver plausible stories. I also agree that CLB/RIkaart would not have been as good. Also, I don't ever want to see Kevin again. I'm actually intrigued what Mal will do with Michael, when he decides to utilize him. The last several years, that character has been destroyed, and the acting is also to blame. 

HEINLE IS KICKING ASS. LET THE HATERS HATE. SHE IS DOING SUBLIME SUBTLE ACTING AND SHE ALWAYS STEPS UP FOR BIG STORIES. 

As for today's show, ok that last segment was great. The fall was directed in a kind of trip way, and did have me lol, but man when they have Victor/Braeden in scenes when he defends his family, that man always steps up. Those scenes with TL/EB were awesome. And WOW they are really going there with Jack!! This is a recton most definitely - but at least it's somewhat plausible I believe and doesn't entirely mess things up. Oh, and Marla Adams ROCKED HER SCENES.

EDIT: I don't read spoilers, and the show is much more enjoyable.

• Members

Just because you don't care about JT doesn't make him expendable when it's only in service to a story a certain regime wants to tell. It's a waste of an interesting character with has strong ties to much of the current canvas that's played by a talented actor.

The deaths of John, Adam & Cassie still drive a certain amount of story but what did the deaths of Colleen, Brad, Ricky, or Delia produce? Dina has been off the canvas for years yet many SON posters bemoan her current story as a waste. Same with Noah.

And no I wasn't saying that about JT. I've always said this story made no sense for this actor (AH) or these characters (Victoria & JT).

• Members

As someone who, as a child, witnessed domestic abuse (I was personally never hit, just a sad witness), certain aspects are definitely on point, as hard as it is to watch. My problem remains twisting two characters to fit an agenda. I fully believe JT could be an abusive jerk. Many can hide themselves for a very long time. I don't really despise that aspect even though I agree it's throwing him under the bus for the sake of a plot. I also fully believe a strong woman like Victoria (well, the real Victoria is supposed to be strong) could be manipulated. But it's a bit rushed to me and lots of aspects just reek of plot for the sake of it. JMO. I'm not saying some aspects aren't being handled realistically because they actually are. As was the case with Dina's Alzheimer's. My grandmother had dementia so it's all too real to me. They've done a good job but it doesn't mean we have to like every aspect of it or the characters they've chosen to tell these stories. Because to me while Mal may believe he's telling realistic stories, and he kind of is, in a sense, they're just shock value plots to me. It's Pratt all over again but Mal's telling shock value in a different way.

• Members

But we don't always have to be blown away. Sometimes a story, can be just that, a story. Let's also not forget JT has been LYING TO VICTORIA, while trying to take down her father. I swear some people in here was saying that JT was taking advantage of her (sexually too?). The narrative on this board changes as quickly as the show lol

Well, Victor is Victoria's father and he DID bug their house so it makes sense... But I hope Victor does not completely take over this story, so I agree with you there. But, let's see how it plays out.

• Members

This has nothing to do with what I was talking about.  If a story is just a story, than by definition that's not edgy, which was what the other poster and I were discussing. 

Also, this board doesn't have a narrative. It has many different posters with different ideas and opinions. Some people can think this story is great, while I think the set up lazy and weak, while the acting has been pretty good.

• Members

Yeah I don't know why the fact that JT is very much playing Victoria as well isn't brought up...

Currently watching today's episode, when was the last time we saw a Jack and Sharon scene? I remember when they were a couple, there was absolutely no chemistry, but it's nice to see different characters interact.

• Members

I pretty much feel the same. I can believe JT has it in him.  I need a lot more build up to believe that Victoria has been sucked in to this degree though. They just got back together.

I can see why some people are sad that their memories of the Glow by Jabbot days are tarnished, but I'm not among them. I've accepted that this show is radically different now. I'm not sure it's wise to dismantle history the way they have, but I'm not sure there is anything they can do to staunch the flow of viewers anyway.

• Members

My apologies then.

It sucks what has happened to JT. But, how many of us have people from high school who grew up "differently" 

I have no memories that are tarnished, because so much has happened between then and now

• Members

Les Moonves once said that he felt that Trump was great for ratings, so CBS likely had a directive to interrupt that came straight from the top.

The irony of such a trifling matter as an executive whine session about the spending bill stepping all over Mal's vaunted big Friday reveal that they've been trying to promote so assiduously.

Somewhere SS and KA must be cackling.

• Members

Out of character? Ashley has ALWAYS ran to Victor. And Jack has ALWAYS hated Victor to this. There is nothing out of character. I never bought Ashley/Jack as loving brother/sister, moreso just tolerating each other, but having a level of respect.

One thing I will say, after all the darkness, the show can use some happiness - and not the corny Mariah/Hillary humour.

Of course history matters, but people change. Look at your Facebook. 

Archived