Stars unable to have lightening strike twice

Soaplovers

• Members

Being an actor, it's difficult to get that big break but it's even more difficult once you get that break to have lightening strike twice...some example below..

Jenna Elfman (dharma and Greg in the 90s...three or so flop sitcoms after)

Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy made her famous...two attempts at shows both failed)

Linda Lavin (had a nine season sitcom from the mid 70s through the mid 80s...at least 3 flops since then..maybe a 4th depending on if her current sitcom succeeds).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes. I think this was some passion project for him and he wanted to play against type. It didn't really work.

(my parents did really enjoy the show - although they did think it was amusing that it was canceled what seemed like five minutes after Teri Hatcher appeared)

• Members

Delta Burke

Farrah Fawcett

Jaclyn Smith

Lindsay Wagner

The cast of Eight Is Enough with the exception of Willie Aames.

Victoria Principal

Linda Gray

Charlene Tilton

Ann Jillian

Larry Wilcox

Erik Estrada

Jim. J. Bullock

Deborah Van Valkenburgh

Lydia Cornell

Nancy Dussault

The cast of Seinfeld

• Members

Re: Seinfeld. Veep may not be a Seinfeld-scale hit, but it’s a legitimate success in Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s career. It’s not like she’s just coasting on name recognition at the moment.

Seinfeld himself doesn’t appear to have tried to recreate his sitcom, but he’s settled into a new legacy visibility with the digital stuff and Netflix specials.

Jason Alexander and Michael Richards? Totally.

• Members

Well, that, and the School of Religious Thought Which Shall Not Be Named.

Please register in order to view this content

Which is smart, I think.  Love it or not, "Seinfeld" is a generation-defining sitcom; and I think ANY attempt on his part to replicate that success might have ended disastrously.  (Yes, JLD is doing fine on "Veep," but it took one flop and one sorta-hit series to get her there.)

Could we add Kelsey Grammer to the list (if we haven't already)?  Granted, he played Dr. Frasier Crane for twenty years, on two LONG-running series ("Cheers" and, of course, "Frasier").  However, it seems like all his post-"Frasier" efforts on TV have not fared as well.  "Back to You" was okay, but probably on the wrong network; "Hank" was so not his kind of comedy that he reportedly asked ABC to pull the plug; "Boss" suffered, I think, from lack of buzz; and that brief show w/ Martin Lawrence was just one big WTF.  It's really no surprise, then, that he has chosen to stick with theater work and with films (although, I don't see him ever becoming an in-demand actor on the latter).

Archived