Sign in to follow this  
dragonflies

TV Character's you felt were pointless/served no purpose

12 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

Yes. Dodie on My Three Sons was like an albatross. I remember years ago there was a hilarious site called Jump The Shark. You could spend days there reading all the TV boards. Every show created had a board. One of the most active was MTS. Posters were trashing Dawn Lynn and her Dodie character. It got so much buzz that Dawn came on the board herself and they highlighted all her comments in red. People were brutal to her. 

Ted McGinley was also named the Patron Saint Of Shark Jumping. I think one of the shows like Dateline or 20/20 showed him the website. You could tell he was hurt and offended but tried to act like it didn't bother him to save face. Not long after TV Guide bought the site from the creator and closed it down. 

Yeah I remember the comments from Dawn Lynn. I used to read there all the time...I contributed a few times as well. Eventually the site got too big and up its own ass. Closing down was probably for the best. 

I've always felt a bit bad for Ted McGinley as he's been in a number of successful shows, but some things stick. 

Edited by DRW50

21 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

That's OK. My 8-year-old nephew still thinks I'm 25, so it's all good. 😂

LOL.....that's great.

21 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Yeah I remember the comments from Dawn Lynn. I used to read there all the time...I contributed a few times as well. Eventually the site got too big and up its own ass. Closing down was probably for the best. 

I've always felt a bit bad for Ted McGinley as he's been in a number of successful shows, but some things stick. 

Yes, Ted gets berated a lot. Most of the shows he has done were on their last legs anyway when he joined. When I think of the 80's, he is one celeb that pops into my head. He had that classic preppy look that was so popular during that era. 

The only long-running show he joined that was still in its prime that I can think of was Married With Children, and that show lasted for quite a few years after he joined. He had a funny cameo in Troop Beverly Hills, and did a good job playing opposite Genie Francis in The Note movies on Hallmark. 

Well, all those shows were all past their prime when he joined and thus got the stigma. He was obviously brought on as a Richie clone on HD, but nobody could really replace Ron Howard. But we got a pre-soaps Billy Warlock playing his brother, so it wasn't all bad. It just wasn't the same show.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:44 PM, SoapDope said:

Next year (2009) will be the 40th anniversary of the show. It's debuted August 24, 1979. 

Yup, I was born the next day.  I wonder if my mom was watching. ^_^

11 hours ago, SFK said:

Yup, I was born the next day.  I wonder if my mom was watching. ^_^

11 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

Hey, 1979 was a great year in pop culture. Even the fact that "My Sharona" was the #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 the days we were born can't change that. :D

We all came along back when people wore polyester and danced to Brick House. :lol:

Vicky Stubing on The Love Boat

Liz Miller (Barbara Barrie) on Barney Miller. Thankfully, they realized the comedy goldmine was in the precinct. They stopped showing Barney at home and eventually stopped showing Liz.

25 minutes ago, applcin said:

Liz Miller (Barbara Barrie) on Barney Miller. Thankfully, they realized the comedy goldmine was in the precinct. They stopped showing Barney at home and eventually stopped showing Liz.

Agreed, and thankfully they discovered that the home life/family scenes were superfluous very early on.

Izzy on Grey's Anatomy lol

In all seriousness though, Home Imrpovement had a character who happened to be a new next door neighbor to the Taylor family. I forget her name offhand but I do remember her first episode her husband was played by Robert Picardo. Well the wife was kept around as an odd annoying recurring character for the next three seasons or so mainly used as a sounding board for Jill, with one episode she cooked and ate pancakes for herself in the Taylor kitchen while listening and nodding to Jill's tantrum. For all of Home Improvement's flaws that was just bizarre. 

Brett Cooper on Melrose Place was pointless and didn't serve a purpose. The show tried to tell a Kimberly story without Kimberly and failed very miserably during season six. 

Marita Covarrubias on the X-Files. I think they had an initial plan but they changed their minds and the character felt pointless, used only for sex appeal, and just fizzled out. Same goes with Mimi Rogers' Diana Fowley, who was very much loathed.