LATEST RATINGS: January 29 - February 2, 2018

Toups

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's interesting that Monday's B&B (2.81) and Friday's Y&R (2.97) are as close as they are. I can't recall a time when B&B was that close to being higher rated than Y&R.

And in terms of the demos - all the shows are generally the same. If I was an advertiser there is no way I'd pay a dollar extra to Y&R than I would to DAYS - the value isn't there with the Bell soaps anymore.

And that's a problem for the Bell soaps and a boon to DAYS. It's no secret Y&R and B&B cost a lot to produce in comparison to DAYS so if you're at NBC, you might realize you have a property that produces good value for money. If I was negotiating the DAYS renewal, that's how I'd pitch it. 

• Members

True, as I know everyone who watches B&B has watched Y&R, but everyone who watches Y&R does not watch B&B. Or something like that. For the longest in the 90's I know B&B was usually in 4th or 5th place but by 2001 it running 2nd, with even ATWT running 3rd during sweeps periods I know Days and a couple of the ABC soaps would occasionally bump B&B out of 2nd place, but quite frankly I haven't seen B&B get leave 2nd place since at least May 2005 when OLTL knocked it out. 

• Members

Y&R at the moment isn't bad like the Latham/MAB&Co./Pratt days, it's more like the Griffin/Passanante days where it is a mixed bag of good and bad, with the good stuff I enjoy of course ends up underutilized. 

That was of course the genius of Bill Bell. Somebody once said Agnes Nixon should have done the with Loving. The 1980-1981 line-up was a disaster for CBS, the 1981-1982 line-up was an actual improvement contrary to myth but of course CBS execs had other plans. ATWT really didn't have any ratings issues until the quality of the show turned really sour in 1996. 

Archived