Cheap21

Kim Cattrall vs Sarah Jessica Parker

30 minutes ago, Khan said:

Well, after all, she DID play Annie on B'way. ;)

It says a ton that KC is the kind of actor who can salvage utter trash like "Mannequin" and "Honeymoon Academy," while SJP's film career basically crashed and burned on a bunch of high-profile flops.

I loved Mannequin... it's cute and charming... made before people got so cynical :)

And SJP was cute in supporting roles in the 80s/90s.

That's just it: the movies that SJP starred and co-starred in during the '80's and '90's were...okay.  But when she tried to parlay her SATC cache back into movies, it didn't work.  And I think that's because SATC, as a series, turned off more people than anyone would care to admit.

@Khan I wouldn't say SATC as a series turned off potential viewers of SJP films... I think most viewers (like me) enjoyed the show for what it was, but weren't necessarily going out of our way to watch these women's individual projects. We weren't going out of our way to avoid them either -- I enjoyed Cynthia Nixon in a couple of things over the years, same with Cattrall (saw her on stage) and I enjoyed SJP's movie The Family Stone.

The problem in SJP's case is that she lost some of her naturalness evident in pre-SATC movies like Footloose,  Hocus Pocus, First Wives Club -- all movies where she played solid supporting. With SATC, she went from supporting to lead and imo bought into the hype about herself. Her acting in lead roles post-SATC just seemed very self-conscious and contrived and too much with the HANDS and the ENUNCIATION and the BIG MONOLOGUES. In some ways, it was like the mannerisms she had from her Orphan Annie days came back with a vengeance.

I feel like SJP identifies very strongly with the character of Carrie and now it has become her persona. I don't see much difference, in fact, between the Carrie I used to watch and the SJP I see interviewed recently on WWHL for example.

Daily Mail had an interesting tidbit in one of their many, MANY articles on this feud. No clue if it's true, but the article implied that with Darren Star's departure and Michael Patrick King's EPship, the character evolution of the four women was jettisoned in favor of broad strokes. Apparently SJP pushed for (and got) Carrie to say more witty puns, and Cattrall wasn't impressed by the extra punning, lol. I think the punning kind of goes hand in hand with some of SJP's roles post SATC. It's like, this is her shtick. 

Edited by Cat

3 hours ago, Cat said:

@Khan I wouldn't say SATC as a series turned off potential viewers of SJP films... I think most viewers (like me) enjoyed the show for what it was, but weren't necessarily going out of our way to watch these women's individual projects. We weren't going out of our way to avoid them either -- I enjoyed Cynthia Nixon in a couple of things over the years, same with Cattrall (saw her on stage) and I enjoyed SJP's movie The Family Stone.

The problem in SJP's case is that she lost some of her naturalness evident in pre-SATC movies like Footloose,  Hocus Pocus, First Wives Club -- all movies where she played solid supporting. With SATC, she went from supporting to lead and imo bought into the hype about herself. Her acting in lead roles post-SATC just seemed very self-conscious and contrived and too much with the HANDS and the ENUNCIATION and the BIG MONOLOGUES. In some ways, it was like the mannerisms she had from her Orphan Annie days came back with a vengeance.

I feel like SJP identifies very strongly with the character of Carrie and now it has become her persona. I don't see much difference, in fact, between the Carrie I used to watch and the SJP I see interviewed recently on WWHL for example.

Daily Mail had an interesting tidbit in one of their many, MANY articles on this feud. No clue if it's true, but the article implied that with Darren Star's departure and Michael Patrick King's EPship, the character evolution of the four women was jettisoned in favor of broad strokes. Apparently SJP pushed for (and got) Carrie to say more witty puns, and Cattrall wasn't impressed by the extra punning, lol. I think the punning kind of goes hand in hand with some of SJP's roles post SATC. It's like, this is her shtick. 

When SATC first debuted, I admit I was more intrigued to see Kristen Davis on the show since I'd remembered her as the hot mess train wreck Brooke Davis on Melrose Place and was blown away by how different she was as Charlotte vs when she was Brooke.  In fact, the only character a lot of women my age (teens/early 20s) and a decade older loved was Charlotte not Carrie nor Samantha (though they several loved KC from Mannequin).

When I saw the first episode and saw SJP with her voice over.. it reminded me of her character in Miami Rhapsody (a Miami version of SATC where you could imagine Carrie Bradshaw.. but her support was her family vs 3 female best friends).

40 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

When SATC first debuted, I admit I was more intrigued to see Kristen Davis on the show since I'd remembered her as the hot mess train wreck Brooke Davis on Melrose Place and was blown away by how different she was as Charlotte vs when she was Brooke.  In fact, the only character a lot of women my age (teens/early 20s) and a decade older loved was Charlotte not Carrie nor Samantha (though they several loved KC from Mannequin).

When I saw the first episode and saw SJP with her voice over.. it reminded me of her character in Miami Rhapsody (a Miami version of SATC where you could imagine Carrie Bradshaw.. but her support was her family vs 3 female best friends).

I remember Miami Rhapsody! When her dad ran off with Naomi Campbell, and her younger sister married a douche, and Antonio Banderas took her out to the salsa club. Cute movie! They don't make ones like that so much anymore.

I totally missed Brooke Davis on Melrose! I only know Kristen as Charlotte. 

Edited by Cat