Kim Cattrall vs Sarah Jessica Parker

Cheap21

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's just it: the movies that SJP starred and co-starred in during the '80's and '90's were...okay.  But when she tried to parlay her SATC cache back into movies, it didn't work.  And I think that's because SATC, as a series, turned off more people than anyone would care to admit.

• Members

@Khan I wouldn't say SATC as a series turned off potential viewers of SJP films... I think most viewers (like me) enjoyed the show for what it was, but weren't necessarily going out of our way to watch these women's individual projects. We weren't going out of our way to avoid them either -- I enjoyed Cynthia Nixon in a couple of things over the years, same with Cattrall (saw her on stage) and I enjoyed SJP's movie The Family Stone.

The problem in SJP's case is that she lost some of her naturalness evident in pre-SATC movies like Footloose,  Hocus Pocus, First Wives Club -- all movies where she played solid supporting. With SATC, she went from supporting to lead and imo bought into the hype about herself. Her acting in lead roles post-SATC just seemed very self-conscious and contrived and too much with the HANDS and the ENUNCIATION and the BIG MONOLOGUES. In some ways, it was like the mannerisms she had from her Orphan Annie days came back with a vengeance.

I feel like SJP identifies very strongly with the character of Carrie and now it has become her persona. I don't see much difference, in fact, between the Carrie I used to watch and the SJP I see interviewed recently on WWHL for example.

Daily Mail had an interesting tidbit in one of their many, MANY articles on this feud. No clue if it's true, but the article implied that with Darren Star's departure and Michael Patrick King's EPship, the character evolution of the four women was jettisoned in favor of broad strokes. Apparently SJP pushed for (and got) Carrie to say more witty puns, and Cattrall wasn't impressed by the extra punning, lol. I think the punning kind of goes hand in hand with some of SJP's roles post SATC. It's like, this is her shtick. 

• Members

When SATC first debuted, I admit I was more intrigued to see Kristen Davis on the show since I'd remembered her as the hot mess train wreck Brooke Davis on Melrose Place and was blown away by how different she was as Charlotte vs when she was Brooke.  In fact, the only character a lot of women my age (teens/early 20s) and a decade older loved was Charlotte not Carrie nor Samantha (though they several loved KC from Mannequin).

When I saw the first episode and saw SJP with her voice over.. it reminded me of her character in Miami Rhapsody (a Miami version of SATC where you could imagine Carrie Bradshaw.. but her support was her family vs 3 female best friends).

• Members

I remember Miami Rhapsody! When her dad ran off with Naomi Campbell, and her younger sister married a douche, and Antonio Banderas took her out to the salsa club. Cute movie! They don't make ones like that so much anymore.

I totally missed Brooke Davis on Melrose! I only know Kristen as Charlotte. 

• Members

When all this popped off I took to Twitter and had a review of what the word on the street was. And oh, were the streets talking. An individual who'd been a PA on the SATC set made the comment "All I'll say is Kim was the nice one..." and various iterations supporting the position that SJP is horrible started to spring up like mushrooms on the forest floor. Comment about SJP has been swirling for years, but she had the Hollywood machine protecting her. 

Not anymore. SJP is soon to be 53. Her post SATC acting career has been fruitless, her ventures in fashion have evaporated. She is no longer a money spinner for anyone. 

Kim is 61. She isn't afraid for her career anymore. She lives mostly in Canada and England. She does work that interests her. So she took control of the message and spoke directly on camera to Piers Morgan and told the world her experience - she didn't even trash anyone. All she said was that SJP could have been nicer.

But of course SJP, that infant, that succubus, couldn't just accept that perhaps she'd been a goddamn bitch and had to try and undermine Kim with a bunch of innuendo and breathless 'golly gee' comments in publicist friendly media while she tries to make 'Divorce' happen (it's NOT happening) and repair her 'good girl' image (which isn't cute on a 50+ year old woman, in case she hadn't noticed). 

And then came SJP's mean girl attack dog Andy Cohen springing to her defence, as did her employees Molly Shannon and Willie Garson, and then Chris Noth, another nobody, joins the fray, and now Jason Lewis has chimed in - he hasn't had a career since SATC and I'm sure he's good and mad that he doesn't get a SATC 3 paycheque. 

But it's all for nothing. Kim slaughtered SJP with the inconvenient truth that she hadn't been happy on the SATC set and that the experience did not conclude positively for her. She cut the head off of the Medusa known as SJP's public image and it's now shrieking and convulsing as it dies a certain death. 

• Members

The last time I saw Leatherface, he was talking about how kissing Matthew Rhys "scared" him (it sure wouldn't scare me...or Keri Russell, apparently). I don't want to hear what he has to say.

How tacky for this to be "team" this or "team" that when Kim Cattrall's brother just died. [!@#$%^&*] that "team" [!@#$%^&*]. I'm so tired of our vapid, worthless media.

Archived