Winter Olympics 2018

Soapsuds

• Members

OK, then, I've seen medal ceremonies in some of the other sports on NBCSN. Add to it that I fell asleep right after the last skater had performed, so I did not know that the medal ceremony did not air.

As for skating being fixed, I first realized that in 1994 when Nancy Kerrigan lost out on the gold in Lillehammer. She was robbed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's easy to believe figure skating is fixed, because unlike most other sports it's not about who's fastest or strongest or who can jump the longest or the highest. It has an element of performance and that opens it up for personal preferences and opinions. Sure, there are compulsary elements too, but they only account for part of the points total.

Take the above mentioned example of Nancy Kerrigan in 1994 for instance. I personally thought that Oksana Baiul deserved the gold that year, but other people don't and I can't argue with their opinion.

I'm not saying that fixing does or doesn't occur, because I have no proof either way, but there is a reason you never hear rumours like that about alpine or cross-country skiing or about long jump or decathlon.

• Members

What a fitting end. Norway's Marit Bjørgen wins the last gold medal of the games in her final olympic start to become the most decorated winter olympian ever, and with that gold medal Norway becomes the most successful country ever in a single Winter Olympic.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Wow!

Please register in order to view this content

Gus Kenworthy is at Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium.

Two weeks ago, at opening ceremonies, we met and a friendship began. Today, at closing ceremonies, it ends. Adam, please stop calling me. You're honestly starting to get v clingy and I can't anymore.

• Members

Yup...I mean really...he is a gay guy competing in the Olympics.....And?  Like there haven't been before. What was so great that he did in the Olympics to deserve all this fame? Did he win a medal I don't know about? Did he set some Olympic record? He didn't even place and can't do a quad jump. Let's move on from him.......LOL

But yes no one is worse than Johnny Weir.

Archived