Y&R February 2018 Discussion

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great story too! Thanks for indulging me. 

When one is a writer (professional or amatuer), one has a tendency to view story from a writer's lens. You dissect the script, actor's interpretation, character construct and motivations, director's lens/point of view, scene set up, music score,  and on and on. At least for me, it's very difficult to watch any scripted show without doing this. 

I think it's being misconstrued as being negative or complaining when it's really just natural conversation. Lol

• Members

But to today's show:

"Tea. Hot chocolate." Sharon is stiring the pot. I like it as long as she doesn't devolve into crazy. 

Jack's new chemist is another rival for Ashley. I swear Jack and Ashley are written using the same techniques as a romantic pairing. Lol

"Isn't it great working together again?" Delivery and look perfectly done by Bryton. He's been invoking far more life and energy into Devon lately.  Good for him. 

• Members

Have to agree with you. Your post was pointed and critical, but so what? You have a right to your opinion, period. You never told anyone else to stop posting.

Dreamer, a lot of posters here have praised your insights and encouraged you to stay. I hope you do, too.

However, your comments above are a bit contradictory. In one sentence you say you’re glad you’re not as sensitive as others, but in the next sentence you’re hyper-defensive and very sensitive. 

No one asked you or even suggested you should stop posting. Your opinions are strong, and as someone whose tone can be harsh, I understand why you’d occasionally get some blowback. 

Just do you, and realize everyone won’t agree.

So true, especially if she wasn’t used as someone blowing in and out of town in 3 days.

• Members

This, my friend, is spot on.  I was thinking similarly during the show yesterday.  SC's and Bryton's line delivery in both of these scenes was 

Please register in order to view this content

.  I don't mind Sharon stirring the pot either, and the story is more interesting because of it.  If there's any proof that an Antagonistic Sharon > Crazy Sharon, this story proves it. 

After showing some heart a few days ago, Hilary was back to being written as completely unlikable today.  WTF is going on in the writer's room IRT this character?  Mishael can sell however they decide to write Hils, but this back and forth, inside upside down character change from day to day is just...ugh.

I wonder if Mal has sat down and taken a look at these characters and has an understanding of their through-line.  Or in the absence of one (Noah, Abby, even Devon), is working to develop one.  Going back to my last paragraph, Hils suffers because of lack of consistency.  Granted, her revenge plot against Neil when she first came to town had to fall away and another was never really established.  Clearly, this isn't Mal's doing but he should hopefully work to repair some of that.

I do find myself enjoying the show, but there is tons of room for improvement. 

+1 IKR?  

• Members

I'm late to the conversation like usual lol but THIS. SO MUCH THIS!

I tend to do the same thing. I often feel like I view things through a different lens. It's not always so much complaining or being negative.

And to the Josh Morrow never-ending debate (this part isn't really geared towards you ajsp, lol) because @Soapsuds can't stop bringing him up even though he claims to hate him

Please register in order to view this content

I don't think he's very good, I actually think he's lousy in scenes with Braeden and I think he's been phoning it in for a very long time. His fratbro persona is kind of annoying, it's time to grow up. I'd hang out with him and have a beer and I think he's attractive (shush ron!) but he's really not that great of an actor for someone who's been in the genre for over 20 years. But if someone likes him, more power to them, but it's OK that we don't like him. I truly do think he's a lazy actor. I'm not going to say "bad" because I think he can be better than he is if he actually tries. He likely needs to be without the role for a time being to appreciate it more and to learn how to mentally show back up for work again. JMO. A long break would do wonders.

• Members

The show is not boring. That seems a win in and of itself. I enjoy it too. 

I resisted the urge to go on a rant about the writing for Hilary. It's as if they tell the same daily arc with her when they want her on but have nothing for her to do  The show starts with her mean and vile for no reason then culminate with her opening up. They do this every other episode. It's a waste of airtime. 

This latest, I can't quite figure out the point. Was it to show Devon as "the boss" and not letting her run over him? Was it to finally have her lose some of that show to Mariah because the audience have been screaming for it? Devon didn't even explain why he wanted Mariah to do the segment. Was he doing this just to hurt Hilary? Or do they just think her treating Mariah like this is amusing? Are we supposed to laugh at this? Or was it just setting the stage so we can cheer when Devon announces he's taking something from her that she worked for handing it to someone else who hadn't earned it? 

So many questions and so few answers. 

I've started to take note of whose names appear on the script when Hilary is written this way versus whose name are listed when she's written decently. 

Archived