"Murphy Brown" revival 2018

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Really NOT a fan of that teaser from TV Line given that Robert Pastorelli is dead. 

I think the show ran a few years too long as it was (probably about 5 years too long) but I do like Candice Bergen. We'll see. 

I have to admit I am surprised the current CBS is interested as their sitcoms are very different in tone to MB.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Holy cow.

I watched the show with my mom a ton - she was a single mom working on Capitol Hill, so it resonated with us. Watching it again in college I remember finding it all a bit tame, but I haven't seen it in many years since. I should revisit it. It was still smart and groundbreaking for its time.

I am surprised CBS gives a shït. But sure, go for it.

• Members

Nah, it was Quayle.  He opened the door when he accused Murphy Brown (a fictional character, mind you) of mocking family values.

ETA: Thanks, Julia!

In a way, this revival makes sense, as this country seems to have been re-energized politically.  Trump, gay and transgender rights, the women's marches, the #Metoo/#Timesup movements -- the time is ripe for Murphy to come back and speak her mind.  

Edited by Khan

• Members

Actually, he would be twenty-six, done with grad school, and working for Trump's WH as a card-carrying conservative Republican.

And yes, he'd be gay.

Please register in order to view this content

Too bad I didn't get to have that kind of experience with Mama Khan.  She can't STAND Candy Bergen.  Ergo, I had to watch most of "Murphy Brown" on my own.

But, looking on the bright side, we DID get to share "Roseanne" and "The Cosby Show."

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's really hard to explain to anyone who wasn't there at the time what a seminal - and surreal - moment that was. Quayle belittling her - as if she were a real person - and Murphy Brown belittling him right back. That paved the way for the queasy and toxic blend of politics and entertainment we've had since. 

• Members

In a way, though, you look back at that moment, compare it to where we are now, and you realize just how far down the crapper we've gone as a country of supposed enlightened people able to discuss important issues such as these in a civilized manner.