ALL: Recasts you mentally treat as separate characters.

• Members

I was intrigued, looking back at older episodes of GH at Sarah's portrayal of Carly. There was this barely suppressed (and sometimes all out) rage and instability about her Caroline Benson that made her an engaging villain. It seems miles from Laura Wright's new-money diva,  loudmouth, Blair Cramer clone.  I just couldn't connect the two. Same with Abigail Deveraux, who was very much Jack's over-the-top daughter under Kate Mansi, who's now portrayed as having the "sweet little heroine" vibe of Jennifer under Marci, without the warmth that Missy brings to Jen. Also with Billie in DAYS. Julie Pinson's Billie didn't seem to match the desperation showed by Krista's or Lisa's Billie towards holding on to Bo. What happened to the passion? 

What other recasts completely changed the core of a character? Is it more the recast or the character growing up? As a contrast Elaine Princi's Dorian didn't seem all that different than Robin's interpretation. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not good with recasts, so I almost always see them as separate characters. Each actor brings a totally different energy and writers often mold the character to fit the actor. (Or with writer turnover, new writers have completely different interpretations of characters.)

The various Rachels on OLTL, for instance. Never believed Ellen Bethea would become Mari Morrow or Sandra P. Grant.

Never believed Jonathan Jackson would grow up to be Greg Vaughn, but I guess Jacob Young was a good intermediary.

Of course, Blair Cramer changed RACES from Mia Korf to Kassie DePaiva, so that was... something.

Hunt Block and Scott Bryce's Craigs felt like they existed on different planets.

Kirk Geiger, Timothy Gibbs, Kevin Stapleton, and Dan Gauthier as Kevin on OLTL - all different characters in my mind.

• Members

Y&R:

Gina Tognoni (Phyllis)

Darius McCrary (Malcolm)

Davetta Sherwood (Lily)

Amelia Heinle (Victoria)

Kelly Kruger/Rachel Kimsey/Clementine Ford (Mackenzie)

Stacy Haiduk (Patty)

Shari Shattuck (Ashley)

Maura West (Diane Jenkins)

Burgess Jenkins (Billy)

Cady McClain (Kelly)

B&B:

Thorsten Kaye (Ridge)

Ashley Jones (Bridget)

Justin Torkildsen (Rick)

Ingo Rademacher (Thorne)

Will DeVry (Storm)

• Members

Joeys on OLTL, They did pretty well with keeping him a guy with a good heart and a great relationship with Viki

Chris Mckenna, Nathan Fillion, Don Jeffcoat and Tom Degnan kept the core of who Joey was

BUT Bruce Michael Hall as priest Joey felt like a stranger

as for the Kevins my faves were Kirk Geiger, Kevin Stapleton & Dan Gauther

The others were not up to snuff

Archived