The Justin Timberlake Thread

• Members

The video projection of Prince on the massive sheet was classy, but it unfortunately drew attention to how much more dynamic and charismatic Prince was in comparison to JT.

It’s telling he only did one cut off the new album.

I like JT, and he’s clearly very, very talented in many ways, but that was frenetic in a bad way. And he looked a hot mess. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought it was an average performance at best. Yes, he gave it his best -- high energy and he really tried.

But he was almost a back-up singer to his own songs for at least the first half of the performance! He kept doing background vocals lmao. 

The sound was horrible, especially in the beginning.

The Prince moment, like said above, invited unflattering comparisons.

Didn't he rip off Janet's clothes during the "I'm gonna have you naked by the end of this song" line? And he stopped here RIGHT before that and yelled stop. More shade.

And that outfit he wore? Oh, geez. The best thing was the jacket and he got rid of it early on LOL

At least he covered his big hits/favorites. The best part was definitely the selfie kid.

Everything else was just going through the motions and I didn't feel the crowd was all that interested....

Edited by YRBB

• Members

Yeah, I agree with all of the above, @YRBB. I feel like it’s fashionable for the media to slag JT off these days, maybe as a corrective for how they aided and abetted his cowardice and deflection post-Nipplegate. But his star had been falling musically for a while, and I can’t help but agree that his performance last night was uninspired.

He danced well, though. Have to give him that.

• Members

See you all are giving him too much credit.

I agree with @YRBB. He was just going through the motions. Even his dancing was that way. The only time I saw fire from him and him being in synced (pun unintended) with the dancers was during CRY ME A RIVER and the Prince moment. Okay, and selfie kid. And energy was medium during CAN'T STOP THE FEELING. Otherwise...meh. Not what I'm used to from JT at all. So disappointed.

• Members

I've loved JT ever since he went solo, and Justified and FutureSex/LoveSounds are two of the definitive albums of 2000-2009. I still get all tingly inside when I hear "My Love."

I still don't know what to make of this one, yet. I feel like it's his Lemonade - less about making a hit album that pleases everyone and more about making something personal. It's hard to have a real opinion on things like that.

According to Sheila E, it was NOT Justin's idea to do the hologram, and he wasn't crazy about it when it was suggested.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

The album grew on me A LOT after the first time I listened to it. I like all of the singles a lot more than I did initially and, some of the songs, like Sauce and especially Higher Higher I think are fantastic.

Towards the end things get really boring and repetitive, at least lyrics wise -- did he really need 4 songs in a row about raising chickens in a farm? Or a whole song about his baby boy?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...