The New SOD

• Members

Ah, thanks for the info!

Please register in order to view this content

I remember hearing there was another Peggy but didn't know the details...It kind of sounds similar to what Heather Tom did years later when she first left in 97 and then they had that other Victoria for 3 months and then HT returned by the end of the year....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SOD's covers got lazy and tacky around 2015 when they decided to use the same template each and every week, just switching it up between orange, blue or purple. A couple months back, the page count dropped from 96 to 72. They originally predicted SOD would fold in 2012; I'm actually amazed it's still around in 2018.

I'm letting my subscription run out this Spring. I literally feel like I'm reading the same articles over and over when you have repeated interviews about Melissa Reeves loving life in Tennessee and doing a commute to California for DAYS. We get it. The talent pool is only 4 shows. The only interesting articles are throwbacks to cancelled soaps and old-school times, but even I can only read the same blips about Luke & Laura's wedding, the Eterna storyline, Marlena possessed, Reva cloned, or any other tales of yesteryear for so many times before it gets too redundant to bother revisiting yet again. 

If you're gonna put Brenda Dickson on the cover, let's see her as her delusional current blow-up doll look, still complaining about Bill Bell, relishing in her Soap Opera Digest Outstanding Villainess trophy from the 1980's, telling us how she still gets recognized for her eleven-and-a-half years on daytime television. 

• Members

This thread reminds me of how annoyed I am that I threw away so many vintage soap magazines, and then lost so many more when I moved.

Back in the day we were blessed with a wonderful set of mags, the best of which were Daytime TV, Afternoon TV, Daily TV Serials, and Rona Barrett's Daytimers. They were packed with interviews, critiques, book-length biographies of actors and their characters, and so much more. I always wanted to read them from cover to cover.

Today's soap "press" is worthless. The magazines are mainly filler, nothing worth buying or even reading, as we get any relevant news directly from the internet.

• Members

Thank you  for this list. I actually agree with some of the choices.

However, anyone from SOD who compiled a list like this and did NOT mention Judith Light (who took over as OLTL's Karen Wolek from the mediocre Kathryn Breech in 1977) is not an authority I would trust.

Archived