DAYS: January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

I honestly don't see "disgust" on any of the men playing gay characters either. CM just smirks, that's going to happen whether Will is having sexy time with Paul, Sonny, a heart-to-heart with Marlena, or playing tiddlywinks with Arianna. That's him, love it or hate it.  

Agreed that Christopher Sean is the best of the three and the one most invested, which is delicious irony since he's the most butch in real life. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone who is anyone on here complains about CM acting yet I've seen only one or two complain about BF acting. He has been awful during the whole Vivian returns story. He has shown no emotion or conflict from this story and all he does is smile and laugh during his scenes. I've also noticed that the actress that plays Abby has also lost some of her luster in the acting department. IMO BF is weighing her down.

• Members

BF isn't bad. He's being lazy and phoning it in. He has been for a while now. I've read he had some bizarre behavior during Day of Days in November. Maybe he's enjoying a doobie once in a while? lol I will say the tan and beard work for him. But he's playing Chad goofy. And so is Miller. I agree he's bringing her down. I think the giggling and laughing is supposed to show Chabby as romantic and cute but it's annoying and makes them seem like bad actors.

FS wasn't always bad. But he's lazy and doesn't care. He wants a paycheck and that's it.

CM smirks and smiles a lot. I think it's meant to show Will as awkward or innocent or something but everyone focuses on it as if he's bad.

None of them are *bad* (and no Tyler Christopher isn't bad either, but he's another lazy one when he's bored). We've had worse.

I get we all have our favorites but just because we may not be fond of someone doesn't make them "bad". The problem is no one reigns these actors in. It's likely one take and done. There's either not enough direction or they're in too much of hurry to care.

James Lastovic was bad. Vivian Jovanni was bad. None of those actors are anywhere near them in terms of being "bad". And hell Charity Rahmer has her own level of bad. And none of them remotely come close to her.

• Members

From my perspective, Billy Flynn is trying to play it as supercilious. Like, "How cute. I laugh at your flimsy attempt to steal my company." But I do think, like many soap actors, he falls into lazy habits as others say. That's why the ones who attack each episode with full commitment day in and day out like CS have my respect.

• Members

Agreed.

Christopher Sean *always* shows up for work. So does Greg Vaughan. Even Eric Martsolf has shown up to work finally.

But Billy, Freddie ... they're being lazy now and it shows. I do agree with you on how Billy is trying to play it.

• Members

I hear you and agree with m7ch of what you say, and you’re right that bad performances don’t necessarily mean the actor is bad.

You do seem to give CM a pass, though. You seem to be saying that Massey is intentionally smirking and smiling a lot in order to show awkwardness or innocence.

i just don’t agree. I think the smirks and smiles because he’s screwing up the scene. I don’t believe those smirks and smiles have anything to do with his character. It’s just lazy, immature acting. 

Do i I harp on Massey? Yeah, I do, but it’s because we saw this in his last run at DAYS, followed by a complete sense of phoning it in. Now he’s returned and the smirking habit is back with a vengeance. It’s awful, and too many fans are ok with it because he’s good looking.

Compare his preparation and performance with CS, who is always invested in the character and scene. They’re miles apart. 

If this were a once once in a while thing, I’d let it go, but it’s not. It happens on every damn episode in which he appears. Every single one. 

• Members

I have to say I'm entertained by Vivian's comeback. Of course, this son with Stefano is wrong but Vivian is feirce. Kate VS Vivian is great. With Vivian in cahoots with Andre, she might interact with Anna. I don't remember if they ever shared scenes in 2009-2010 when they were both on the show at the same time.

• Members

I wasn't trying to give Massey a pass, per say (and it's not because I find him hot, his body is nice and I like his personality, but the way they do his hair is awful and I think I can separate someone good looking for being a good actor. I spent years bitching about Rob Wilson while everyone sang his praises because he was hot, but thankfully he's improved immensely as an actor and seems to actually try, or like others giving terrible Max Shippee a pass on Y&R because he's a hot daddy). I liked him when he first started on DAYS and really never payed attention or cared about the smirking. Towards the end of his run, actually when he became EJ's shadow, I grew annoyed and couldn't wait for Massey to leave.

And sadly yes, he's doing the same thing this time, but I *want* to believe he thinks he's acting. I guess I just want to believe it's for the character. I'm not quite there at putting him in the "bad" category but I'm probably just trying to be nice lol. I can totally understand why you'd find him bad.

I actually don't like defending FS and Tyler Christopher because I *know* they get lazy. I don't think either guy is some AMAZING thespian, but they're not bad when compared to others lol. But yes they get extremely lazy and phone it in. I'm pretty thrown by how lazy/bad I guess, Smith and Flynn have become. And that's the thing, I hate to call them 'bad' because I don't think they are, they're just lesser/weaker actors. Flynn does well with the emotional stuff and crying but then people make fun of him for how he cries so he can't win lol. I think Kate Mansi elevated Flynn. With Marci and Billy acting like besties behind the scenes I have to imagine what we see on air is their antics when filming. I think it's known that Flynn tries to make people laugh during his scenes with them. I think he's totally gotten lazy and complacent.

• Members

Oh, saw Friday's episode. Anna!! I wonder what the point of her return is? It's nice seeing her though, too bad she's wasted on Fauxman. Zzzz. Though I only seem to like Faux when he's in scenes with Greg Vaughan. They have a nice rapport. I do like Josh Taylor basically playing Chris Kosticheck again though, behind some counter and dishing out advice, it works better for him. But he's still wasting a contract.

I like the little miscommunication between Eric and Jen. At least it's something. I like them and think they have chemistry but it seems the show keeps hedging on pairing them. I'm torn on them. I want them together but when they get together ... then what? Jack back from the dead? Nicole returns to town with Eric's baby but wondering if it's Brady's?  I mean ....

And OMG. Galen Gering. He is SO [!@#$%^&*] TERRIBLE. Victoria Konefal completely out-acted him in every way. She's exactly who I wanted Ciara to be, but I could do without the screeching and wailing and yelling at everyone so I hope that gets toned down, and the Claire feud is flimsy as hell but damn do I really like the actress.

Galen Gering has been on Days of Our Lives for going on ten years. TEN years folks. And he was on Passions from 1999-2007. He's had almost TWO DECADES in this industry and he remains the same as he did from his beginning on Passions (actually I think he's gotten worse). It's terrible. Someone behind the scenes or at NBC must really have the hots for him. Folks, THIS is a bad actor. Although I think Galen does better with comedy actually or when he's more playing himself. I actually like Galen, he seems like a fun guy but he's not a good actor. Hell, as bad as they were, at least Vivian Jovanni and James Lastovic tried to emote.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I guess... His voice and overall dismal tone is excellent for insomniacs looking to catch some Zzzzzzzzzzzzz's 

The hair, and the clothes. He looks like a fashionably clueless straight guy from the 90's. Baggy pants, flannel tops... just no. He was born in 1995, he shouldn't be dressing like 1995. 

Archived