Y&R January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

To my surprise I actually liked today's episode. The next day episode thing is still a mess. Monday ended with Nick outside telling Sharon he had something to tell her. Today's first scene is Nick inside with Sharon. I wasn't sure if it was another day or the same one. Then when I realized it was the same day ....they come back after the intro and now it's the next day.....huh?

Please register in order to view this content

Just terrible!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IA with @Soapsuds today was the strongest episode in a while. I think this was due to 3 things: 1. the episode focused almost solely (except for Jack/Dina -- also strong scenes) on the demise of Sharon and Scotty's relationship, and it hit all the beats and adjacent strands (Lily with Abby, Nick breaking the news to Sharon, Lauren learning about it after Sharon and Abby's altercation). 2. Sharon Case BROUGHT IT and showed why she is such a watchable powerhouse. No weakness in her delivery or her characterization, she was the heart and fire of the episode, driving it from beginning to end. Plus she has chemistry with everybody. 3. The presence of a lot of different women (Sharon, Abby, Lauren, Mariah, Chelsea) carrying the episode. I actually liked Chelsea and tolerated Lily and Abby today. Janice Ferri Esser wrote the episode I believe, and it felt more character driven to me.

The only weak link was the actor who played Scotty, but I'm biased because I find him so meh.

• Members

She does and here she was good because we sensed Sharon's strength in those scenes. We saw how much her character has progressed and how righteous she is in her relatable anger. Do I think the show is perfection? No I don't. @Soapsuds also pointed out this ridiculous one episode = one day trope. It's too forced. I don't mind if one day is spread out over 2 episodes. I'm bummed that tomorrow we're going to have a bunch of second stringers yap "did you hear about the fight in the Athletic Club yesterday? And I wonder where Christian wandered off to huh." The episode should rightly pick up where it left off-- Chelsea asking Sharon if she's seen Christian. At this rate, they should have some theatrical OTT 1950s male voiceover with an organ playing at the end of every show intoning "And sooooo another day sets on the Wisconsin burg of Genoa City. Tune in tomorrow for a brand new day forrrrr the Young and the Restlessss."

• Members

I don't get the appeal either with Scott. He is a wimp who needs to shave and take an overdue shower.

Couldn't agree more although I thought they could have slowed down things a bit more....stretch out the time from Sharon giving it to Scott to her getting into it with Abby. When she saw Abby at the restaurant should've been the cliffhanger for tomorrow and then what happened today with them should have finished tomorrow. When you have something finally good happening you need to milk it for all its worth IMO.

• Members

LOL!!! I'm almost done with 1-2-18 as I sit here editing my forthcoming novella in a coffeehouse. 

Very much like GH's Liz, I've grown up with Sharon. I didn't realize how much I liked her and how much I loved her until the Phyllis affair and the episodes where she confronted Nick dressed in the same lingerie as Phyllis and cleverly shut Phyllis out before she could tell. I've never been so in awe of a character before, but SC made me stand up and take notice. I remember so many magazines talking about those scenes and I do believe she made it into someone's best that year. 

And DEAD at your comment about a voiceover. But at this point from what I've read that might be apt if the writing is going to be all over the place.

ALL OF THE BOLD. Would have made for a good week. 

• Members

OMG Sharon, YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!  Drag that heifer!!!

You all were right. SC has been the threadline all through this episode.

On a sidenote...there was some heavy foreshadowing for something bad happening to Dina. And given that return coming up...

LOL!!!! So...Cane/Billy as Co-CEOs at Chancellors. I liked their rivalry under SSM because there was so much history there and we saw how vicious it got. So...LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

OMG!!!! SHARON DID GO FOR HER THROAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived