Y&R January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

I love the Abbott’s and the scenes with Dina essentially recreating the goodbye she had with John all those years ago was so poignant and tragic all the same. I really have to commend all of the actors in this story, even with some of the outrageousness they’ve really sold the hell out of it.

Thank you writers for continuing to make Tessa unlikable. Hopefully this leads to an exit for the character soon.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going to have to say no to this one.  Phyllis just had an affair story and still with the affair partner. That'd be overkill. 

While I'm not overly fond of that foursome, I think there is stakes enough if they play on the history. 

Phyllis definitely needs more to do. The Philly relationship is a big ball of nothing. How did a couple whose union should have caused a big shake up to canvas devolve into Desi and Lucy? And Billy as the devil may care Playboy isn't as endearing as Mal Young thinks. 

• Members

As soon as they decided to make Philly an actual relationship, they killed all story for Phyllis essentially especially once Jack got over hating her. I pretty much only look forward to Phyllis having scenes with Hillary as I love that friendship. It didn't make sense when it started but the two actresses have really made it work and the writers have resisted turning them into unnecessary rivals. I do think if MS was still in the role though,  the relationship wouldn't work AT ALL.

• Members

Jack should have never gotten over hating it. Neither should other abbots. That's why they struggle story wise IMO. They are, essentially, ignoring the only story available and the only reason to pursue Philly as a couple. Abbot family drama. 

Also love the Hilary and Phyllis friendship.  It's refreshing that it's a real friendship. Unlike that frenemy mess that doesn't work that they keep trying to pass off with hilary and Mariah. 

Phyllis was needed for Jack but then  they cast another woman that filled the love interest void: Dina.   Jack became the ultimate momma's boy last year. I didn't hate it. Didn't miss him and Phyllis together. 

• Members

Like I said, it's the only thing I watch for at this point when it comes to Phyllis. I've enjoyed what GT has brought to the role but it's obvious MY has no clue what to do with her, though I did like them dropping her into the Abbott CEO battle briefly.

• Members

Phyllis has nothing to do because Y&R refuses to let the character age.

Trying to make her a contemporary of Victoria/JT/Billy/Hilary has never worked.

If any character currently on the canvas should be in her position it should be Chelsea.

• Members

I agree with people who wouldn't miss Phyllis and/or Billy is they left tomorrow.

JMO but I think the problem is that neither character is anchored to anything but each other.  Both wander around their respective companies, sort of doing "stuff" that is not specific.  What is Billy really doing for Chancellor?  Do we even know his official title?

Phyllis was on that one Fenmore's Dressing Room app but do we know what she's doing now? She tried to sabotage Brash and Sassy like it was her job but what has she done since then?  Summer and Daniel are not around, so all she has is scenes trying to entice Billy with food or negligées.  What else is there?  It's gotten old fast.

That's a good question though.  Who are Victoria's actual contemporaries?

Ryan and Nina were always older.  Billy, JT, Mac and Colleen were always younger.

I'm trying to think of someone but no one comes to mind. I guess Nick and Sharon would come closest?

• Members

She is now that the JT/Billy set has been SORASED over the years. Ever since Y&R recast Billy with Billy Miller, Mackenzie with Rachel Kimsey/Clementine Ford and kept Victoria & JT paired at the hip they've all essentially been in the same peer group.

Except for Brandon Victoria's never really had contemporaries.

Tricia arguably came the closest but Tricia herself was between Victoria & Nick age-wise.

• Members

Phyllis has always been written to have affairs and always scheme as well.  The desorasing hasn't helped at all, it just made it worse.

I find her to be the juvenile and she always has been. Never satisfied unless her itches to cheat are scratched especially when she breaks up family.

+1

+1

Archived