Jump to content
cassadine1991

Y&R January 2018 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

I love how Scott acts like he's a blue collar working stiff instead of the scion of a DOCTOR AND A DEPARTMENT STORE HEIRESS.

 

No joke. Can we count how many scenes Scott had with his Aunt Jill? Considering the bro clan, wouldn't Jill want her nephew on her team? Especially if she could swipe him from Victor! And Billy/Scott are cousins - was that ever explored or discussed? What am I missing here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wouldn't mind Traci, as I really tend to like the Abbott family, especially Ashley. My only caveat would be to give her something to do other than cry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 1. they don't care about Lauren and Jill, let's face it, 2. they realize that making them sisters didn't make a whole lot of sense, and 3. just because you discover a sister late in life doesn't make you all of a sudden best friends with your children hanging out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, they are really, really invested in this Cane/Lily sitch...

 

SN: Can I get Carter to move from LA to Genoa City to keep Hilary warm this Winter? Or even have Hilary crossover briefly and meet Carter, have a fling and then he follows her back. I think Lawrence St. Victor might be the actor who can keep up with her. It would give her something to do besides be a busy body. Hopefully get her away from boring ass, lame duck Devon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

It's the same with Eli over on DAYS, who is suffering the same complaints. It's weird. They all have something in common...

Piss poor development and this idea that some Black actors have that everything needs to be played with intensity and a furrowed brow. I believe it comes from a need to be taken seriously. Of the three actors, LSV gives me the most though. He really solid material. 

If I can be very frank, I just really don't get anything from Devon. He always seems uninterested. It somehow makes him unappealing.

At least Lawrence St Victor has seen appeal, if nothing else.

Edited by SteelCity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SteelCity said:

Piss poor development and this idea that some Black actors have that everything needs to be played with intensity and a furrowed brow. I believe it comes from a need to be taken seriously. Of the three actors, LSV gives me the most though. He really solid material. 

If I can be very frank, I just really don't get anything from Devon. He always seems uninterested. It somehow makes him unappealing.

At least Lawrence St Victor has seen appeal, if nothing else.

I think piss poor development more than anything. I've seen Bryton light up enough to know he's capable of it. I even saw some chemistry with Amelia Heinle, which was surprising given how internal both actors can be. But it's difficult when you're given a threadbare character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reality is that actors of color (particularly Black actors) are always gonna be marginalized in Daytime television.

 

It doesn't matter whether they're played by Sterling K. Brown & Sophie Okonedo or Paul Taylor & Amelia Marshall.

 

There's a reason why so many actors of color achieve considerable success AFTER they exit their respective soaps.

Edited by DeeeDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

The reality is that actors of color (particularly Black actors) are always gonna be marginalized.

 

It doesn't matter whether they're played by Sterling K. Brown & Sophie Okonedo or Paul Taylor & Amelia Marshall.

 

There's a reason why so many actors of color achieve considerable success AFTER they exit their respective soaps.

Michael B. Jordan, Cornelius Smith, Jr., Renee Elise Goldsberry, and Tika Sumpter have been more successful in primetime and film than any of Frons's pets on ABC in the '00s. All of them, with the possible exception of REG, were marginalized on their shows even when their superior talent and star power were evident.

Edited by Faulkner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

Michael B. Jordan, Cornelius Smith, Jr., Renee Elise Goldsberry, and Tika Sumpter have been more successful in primetime and film than any of Frons's pets on ABC in the '00s. All of them, with the possible exception of REG, were marginalized on their shows even when their superior talent and star power were evident.

 

Add Timothy D. Stickney to that exemplary list. Perhaps many here don't remember him, but found him a compelling, intense, sardonic watch. And ofc REG's talent literally popped off the screen on OLTL, but ABC made zero effort to keep her despite that and a huge fanbase. Honestly, I felt OLTL lost something special when she left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Graham’s dead...interesting turn for the story. I imagine this means we’re gonna get back to Ashley vs Jack now. They really love writing Paul as a complete and utter moron.

 

This was the first Tessa song i actually liked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

So Graham’s dead...interesting turn for the story. I imagine this means we’re gonna get back to Ashley vs Jack now. They really love writing Paul as a complete and utter moron.

 

This was the first Tessa song i actually liked.

I wonder who wrote Tessa's song. It was actually ok. Sounded like they actually tried to create a song that could be played on radio today, which is more than what one can say about the songs on Empire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×