Sign in to follow this  
amybrickwallace

TV commercials we hate

Thinking of commercials I hate is easy, I'm struggling to think of one I like. I watch as little commercial tv as possible and when I do I always change the channel or do something else during the commercials.

Avoiding commercials is one of the two main reasons I almost never watch live TV. I cannot stand the constant breaks. I make sure to catch up online (where I GLADLY pay extra not to have ads) or I DVR and naturally fast-forward through ads.

10 hours ago, YRBB said:

Avoiding commercials is one of the two main reasons I almost never watch live TV. I cannot stand the constant breaks. I make sure to catch up online (where I GLADLY pay extra not to have ads) or I DVR and naturally fast-forward through ads.

You and me both!! As a caregiver, I am in places with live TV so I do have to catch the commercials while on the clock, as it were.

Celebrity perfume commercials are always goofy, but for some reason they seem more embarrassing than usual. Keira Knightley's the only one that doesn't make me cringe, but Natalie Portman's ("I LOVE YOU/PROVE IT!!") and Julia Roberts's (with that big horse-teeth smile at the end) are bloody awful. The Charlize one is just silly.

Speaking of perfume ads, am I the only one who feels funny seeing Liz Taylor's White Diamonds commercials every Christmas season? She's been gone for several years now, but the commercials still air every holiday season.

Flo wore out her welcome a loooooong time ago. It's worse in Cleveland because they renamed the ballpark where the Indians play after Progressive, so if you go to a Tribe game you are also "treated" to more of her on the Jumbotron!!! 😨😠

It seems like in my area all I see is CAR INSURANCE, web sites, prescription drugs and cell phone service. I rarely see anything else advertised. It's those 4 things the vast majority of the time. 

Geico is the biggest offender to me. They are constantly cranking out new ads and they show them at least 8-10 times in an hour, sometimes 2 per break. They are also on radio, in magazines, billboards, internet, sports events etc.... and they have begun sticking ads in my mail. I have a feeling a big scandal will come out about them soon. If they are advertising that hard, they have to be ripping off their customers and padding their executives pockets. 

Geico and Progressive. And to a lesser extent, Allstate. I don’t remember insurance companies being this aggressive years ago.

Just be glad Liberty Mutual has seemingly dialed back its campaigns.