Classic TV

KMan101

• Members

I figured I'd start a new thread for this. I noticed 227 is coming to OWN today.

Instead of an individual show thread, or the Logo/Antenna TV/Me-TV catch-all I figured this could be the go to. Not expecting a ton of discussion but oh well, here it is.

Anyway, nice to see 227. I'm guessing because Jackee is starring in the House of Payne spin-off ... it's on on-demand for me but it's always nice to see it rerun. I know Centric (now BET Her) or TV One aired it for a while I think.

Also Too Close For Comfort has started airing on Logo. I'd seen a lot of it when Antenna TV aired it a couple of years ago, but still nice to see as it felt long forgotten until Antenna picked it up. It's the perfect companion to Three's Company. It doesn't seem to have a regular timeslot but it airs late-nights right now, and Logo runs marathons of classic shows. I swear I have Logo on almost all the time now lol.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Isn't 227 still on Antenna? I forgot if it'll still be on come January's big changes.

Too Close for Comfort, especially the earlier seasons, really is a great companion for Three's Company. I know Monroe eventually becomes a breakout character, but I wish the focus had stayed squarely on the daughters living "on their own" while still under their parents' roof. The dynamics between frazzled Henry, sensible Muriel, sexy Sara, and intelligent Jackie were the perfect foundation on which to build a show. I like Monroe, but he's basically like an Urkel - okay as a supporting character but too much once he overpowered the daughters.

The Ted Knight Show season with Pat Carroll and Lisa Antille was actually pretty good, IMO, because it was like they'd finally made a clear break from what the original premise was supposed to be and found a new, clear identity.

• Members

I liked the original premise and Monroe definitely sort of 'takes over' like Urkel did. I liked him enough at times. I didn't mind when they retooled the show but I think I sort of felt a lot of lost potential for the original premise.

The actresses playing Jackie and Sara were quite good but I don't think they were ever given enough, especially when Monroe began dominating.

I know 227 is on the January schedule for Antenna TV (it will air weekdays at 3:00PM after Head of the Class and leads into What's Happening!! at 3:30). I forgot it had been on there. I mentioned it coming to OWN because it's nice to see a cable network pick it up again. It will also be nice to see Gimme a Break! I would have paired GaB with 227 but oh well, I think they tried the best they could to mix the 70s and 80s/90s shows but I think Antenna's lineup needs some help ... lol but it's nice to get some significant changes.

• Members

I'd love to thank whoever decided Logo needs to air classic sitcoms. Looks like 'The Ropers' will be airing tomorrow night (either Midnight or 12:30am) after Three's Company!  I know Antenna airs it but this is neat. Kudos to whoever is doing the Logo schedule. 

• Members

On FETV I have been watching reruns of the old 60's show Hazel. Shirley Boothe was an excellent actress with good comic timing with Don DeFore as Mr. Baxter. Whitney Blake (Meredith Baxter's mother) as Mrs. Baxter is stunning to look at. The first 4 seasons were the best. In the last year (season 5) the show was not as good when they dropped DeFore and Blake to save money. I love the Baxter home.

• Members

Had a chance to watch The Ropers on Logo and the opening is horrible bad. I had forgotten how awful it was....LOL. Love seeing the show again though. Hope it gets some buzz and Shout Factory will put the whole series out on DVD.

Edited by Soapsuds