GH: December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Laura Wright has been Carly since 2005.

She’s Carly. She’s fine in the role, and bemoaning that Carly is no longer played by some actress who left 100 years ago is a waste. To me, this is akin to repeating that Heather Tom is the real Victoria. Yeah, 100 years ago.

• Members

Laura's passable in the role. Carly's really not "Carly" anymore, there are shades, at times, some mentions of the past but it's not Laura's fault Carly isn't Carly, IMO. I don't mind her.

She's been Carly since 2005. She's not going anywhere.

And Ranger, it's cute you telling people what to talk about, when you complain about similar things on a daily basis.

• Members

With a recast, I would love this.  CL has no idea of subtlety.  She is not good bad girl material.  I would love a young vixen to come in and put CarScum thru the ringer and teach Carly some self awareness (altho that is a writing issue), but I need a recast.  The moment CL uttered "congratulations GRANDMA", I literally cringed.  When I think of young vixens, Erika Cane, Tina Lord, Delia Ryan, etc come to mind...not Smelle Benson.  

Never cared for Sarah's wounded psycho Carly (but loved her as Claudia until the poison penis ruined her).  From the little I saw of Braun, she was laughable and the character became obsessed with Sonny.  I wouldn't care who LW played but her Carly has been the best for me.  Chem magnet and is fun in the role.  The hair is completely different post.  I think LW has sex appeal the other two lacked and again, she's fun to watch (but not lately).  However, how/if Carly works depends on whether or not the character can carry Benard.  LW can certainly carry that black hole but they are physically incompatible. She is too tall for him...couple this with her ability to run acting circles around him and SHE seems like a misfit because we know this is Benard's show, BTS.  I would love nothing more than for CarScum to end so that I can enjoy my favorite character again.  The work Garin Wolfe had done with Carly was completely undone by Frank.  I will always loathe him for that!  

• Members

I think Laura is closer to Sarah's Carly in many ways, even if hers is evolved - with both of them, when they vowed revenge you knew they meant fuckin' business. I am fine with Laura in the role, though yes she should not be paired with MB. But Sarah is always the gold standard for me. That being said, all three of the majors have a following which is why they keep foolishly hiring them back. Either replace Laura with Brown or Braun or move on.

• Members

I think being a team player shouldn't be a factor in determining if an actor stays or goes.  If an actor isn't right, they should be let go.  Same with writers/producers.  Being a team player and not being a bit of a diva/heavy is why soaps have becomes sugar in quality.  Wendy riche, Gloria Monty were not team players 100 percent..and they helmed some of this shows best years...and Anthony Geary w asnt always a team olayer..same with Genie Francis all the time...etc.  it's the same with corporate America...the need to be a team player may make things run smoothly..but sometimes you need an occasional non team player to bring innovation and creativity.

Look at the shoestring budget for this show....Frank V works under budget thus the network thinks it can function well and continues to slash the budget.....while AMC got cancelled...they never stayed under budget and their production looked oretty decent up till the end...and they al9ing with GH under JFP got the money Frank V didn't use for OLTL.

• Members

I think LW is perfect for Carly as currently written. The HBIC. SB and TB wouldn't be credible playing any of this stuff. SB worked as a ballsy town pariah, which is why I loved her Claudia.

But I tend to be anti-recast unless the original actor (or the first actor I saw in the role) is incompetent or forgettable. So I'll always have a loyalty to Sarah Brown that I'll never have for Tamara Braun or Laura Wright (whom I loved as Cassie on GL, but very different character).

• Members

SB left, TB left. We spent an excruciating month with Jennifer "Georgie from OLTL" Bransford. LW has been Carly to me since she took over. Brown was raw, Braun was...meh, but I've always felt Wright has encompassed everything the character has been through over her twenty + years on the canvas, but that's JMO.

• Members

Hey, KMan, we’ve been down this road before. I realize you don’t like my style. Others give strong, assertive opinions and it’s apparently ok with you. I say it’s a waste to talk about replacing LW, and you say I’m telling people what to talk about.

i never told anyone what they can or can’t talk about. I gave my opinion — that it’s a waste because Laura Wright has been there forever and is doing a good job. Everyone has his own posting style. Sorry if I stepped on your toes again. 

• Members

No stepping on toes. It's just how I took your post, I guess I took it the wrong way, so I apologize for that.

I'd prefer Sarah Brown in the role but Laura's passable to me. The writing for Carly has either been awful (Carly and Franco) or non-existent (there was a point Ron hardly used her) for the last several years. But Sarah to me will always be "Carly".

Archived