Primetime shows that were cancelled too soon

1 hour ago, sheilaforever said:

Glad you’re enjoying it. I have never seen any rerun and therefore just relying on destinc memories, but I  had a real soft spot for Kathleen

Quinlan and the stellar cast of Family Law.

Thanks!!! And I love the cast as well. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
On 11/21/2017 at 4:28 PM, amybrickwallace said:

Back to You (Fox, 2007-08)

I feel that this sitcom was more a victim of bad timing - read: the 2007 WGA strike - than anything else. Despite the talent on both sides of the camera, Fox didn't give the show enough of a chance - even after the writers' strike was settled.

In hindsight, everything worked out well for many of the people on BTY. Patricia Heaton and Ty Burrell landed on ABC on The Middle and Modern Family, respectively. Both shows are now in their ninth seasons. Josh Gad has gone on to a successful stage and film career. Kelsey Grammer and Fred Willard still pop up on shows and commercials. 

Plus, as a fan of The Middle, I can't imagine it without Patty Heaton. Frankie Heck is a much better role for her than BTY's Kelly Carr was.

BTY was a good (not great) sitcom, but it didn't belong on FOX.

Three shows I'd add to the list: "Buffalo Bill," "Open All Night" and "The Slap Maxwell Story."  All created or co-created by Jay Tarses; all brilliant; all gone way too soon.

On 11/24/2017 at 7:45 PM, Franko said:

Plus, where else was Just the Ten of Us going to fit? After Growing Pains? 

Actually, I thought that was where it belonged all along.  "Just the Ten of Us" was much too smart for TGIF -- and I say that as someone who watched TGIF religiously.

Another one I'd add to the list: "Almost Perfect," a two-season wonder from Robin Schiff, Ken Levine & David Isaacs.  It starred Nancy Travis as Kim Cooper, a newly promoted EP on an "NYPD Blue"-esque cop show, who tries to juggle her new, high-pressure job (her predecessor left after suffering a nervous breakdown) with her new relationship with Mike Ryan, a district attorney, played by Kevin Kilner.

AP possessed the magical combination of a great cast (in addition to Travis and Kilner, there were David Clennon ("thirtysomething"); Chip Zien (ex-Donald Steele, AMC); and Matthew Letscher ("Scandal," "The Carrie Diaries," etc.)) and great writing.  As much as I love sitcoms, few made me laugh as hard as AP.  However, CBS meddled with the show's premise, insisting that Schiff, Levine & Isaacs dump Mike.  That decision, plus a time-slot change, sealed the show's fate.  CBS cancelled it four episodes into its' second season; however, in the years since, the entire series has been rerun on both Lifetime and USA.

Edited by Khan
Posted (edited)
On 11/27/2017 at 2:30 AM, amybrickwallace said:

They had to revamp Going Places late into its brief run to try to raise its abysmal ratings - dumping Holland Taylor and adding a couple of "cute kids". Needless to say, it didn't work. The show sank without a trace and was replaced by Step by Step.

God, "Going Places" was so painful to watch.  The hidden-camera show that the four lead characters worked on, "Here's Looking at You," sounded like the biggest piece of crap on TV.  However, as I've alluded to elsewhere on this board, it had the same saving grace that almost all Miller/Boyett shows had: a good theme song.

Edited by Khan

The Exorcist on FOX. As a hardcore fan of the book and original film and Blatty's third (a cult masterpiece), I expected total schlock from a network TV treatment. It ended up being a sleeper, a slow burn and very good. There was a somewhat silly running subplot about a conspiracy of possessed people within the church diocese or Vatican, but the show built and built and was deeply connected to Blatty's original work in surprising ways.

The two seasons were largely self-contained despite carrying over the two lead priests (one of which, Ben Daniels, was an excommunicated gay priest who has a hot silverback romance with OLTL's Christopher Cousins in Season 2). The first featured Geena Davis, Alan Ruck, Sharon Gless and a twist that should not be spoiled. The second starred John Cho. tbh the show should've been on FX or streaming.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Khan said:

Another one I'd add to the list: "Almost Perfect," a two-season wonder from Robin Schiff, Ken Levine & David Isaacs.  It starred Nancy Travis as Kim Cooper, a newly promoted EP on an "NYPD Blue"-esque cop show, who tries to juggle her new, high-pressure job (her predecessor left after suffering a nervous breakdown) with her new relationship with Mike Ryan, a district attorney, played by Kevin Kilner.

I'd been perusing Ken Levine's blog lately for Cheers stuff and I thought this might interest you. I know he did a few entries on AP. (Way more than a few actually, if you search google properly.)

Edited by Vee
12 minutes ago, Vee said:

I'd been perusing Ken Levine's blog lately for Cheers stuff and I thought this might interest you. I know he did a few entries on AP. (Way more than a few actually, if you search google properly.)

Thanks, @Vee!

Almost perfect in season 1 was perfection..and lots of material to explore.  

Just the ten of us also had so many windows and avenues.  Not only the parents and 4 oldest daughters..but Jr and Sherry were starting to get focus in the 3rd season..and were a fun duo.  Endless possibilities.  Going Places was a replacement for that show...and that's a tragic mistake 

10 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

Going Places was a replacement for that show...and that's a tragic mistake 

As a dramatic actress, Heather Locklear was/is passable.  But, as a comedic actress, she's downright excruciating to watch.

10 hours ago, Forever8 said:

@Soaplovers@Khan @amybrickwallace 

Speaking of Just The Ten of Us 

Woah!  Thanks, @Forever8!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

L.A. Complex 

Tell me you love me 

UnReal

South of Nowhere

Life Unexpected 

Dallas Reboot 

Boss

Crash: the series

Soul Food: Series

Star

Zane’s The Jump Off(do not judge me!)

I would add every black television show possible, because it’s so rare for one to get into the double digits.

Edited by cassistan
On 4/2/2021 at 3:40 PM, DemetriKane said:

L.A. Complex 

Tell me you love me 

UnReal

South of Nowhere

Life Unexpected 

Dallas Reboot 

Boss

Crash: the series

Soul Food: Series

Star

Zane’s The Jump Off(do not judge me!)

I would add every black television show possible, because it’s so rare for one to get into the double digits.

Wait? Unreal got cancelled?

And totally agree on L.A. Complex. So much potential and a different (IMHO) black gay couple. 

11 minutes ago, Taoboi said:

Wait? Unreal got cancelled?

The last season aired exclusively on Hulu in 2018?

And yes, L.A. Complex was pretty much what the Melrose Place reboot should've been. It's a shame it was just a Canadian import and didn't get much of a push as a result.

1 minute ago, te. said:

The last season aired exclusively on Hulu in 2018?

And yes, L.A. Complex was pretty much what the Melrose Place reboot should've been. It's a shame it was just a Canadian import and didn't get much of a push as a result.

Wow. It always seem to do decent from what I heard. I am shocked.

EXACTLY!!!! And didn't they run at the same time? I agree that it was sad that it did not get a lot of push.