Australia votes to legalize same-sex marriage

DRW50

• Members

There's still a thorny path ahead as their Parliament has to pass legislation and who knows how that will go, but still, it's a lovely moment to see this pass with such a large majority. I can't imagine that ever happening here. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2017/nov/15/australias-same-sex-marriage-postal-survey-results-live

Here's an article on the man whose tragic death (murder) helped decriminalize homosexuality in Australia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41964671

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. For Australia, that might be a plus, wouldn't it?

I got this image of mass same sex weddings on MCA. 

I've just always been of the mindset to live and let live.  Of course, I used to work in the arts and had co-workers, managers, bosses of all persuasions, and never understood what was the big deal and why people felt the need to interject themselves and opinions into other people's lives--as long as they're not hurting anyone, again, what's the big deal??

As Chris Rock once said (gosh, I hope there are no misconduct complaints about him lurking anywhere

Please register in order to view this content

)  gay people have just as much right to get married and be miserable as anyone else. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As soon as the confirmation of the YES vote came out and Parliament voted over whelming I mentioned how much I would love to see a same sex proposal or a marriage on MCA. 

I was going to boycott it on Australia Day, but now I think that I just may find something that will show my support.

A firm believer that marriage is between two people that love each other regardless of sex, color or religion.

• Members

Yes she is, 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/champion-margaret-court-to-miss-australian-open-tennis/news-story/eb83e5e15d37c52bc843dced5505b5c0

Champion Margaret Court to miss Australian Open tennis

Australian tennis great Margaret Court. Picture: AP
Australian tennis great Margaret Court. Picture: AP
  • The Australian
  • Save
  •  

Australian tennis legend Margaret Court has turned her back on this year’s Australian Open after the controversy she sparked with her condemnation of gay marriage.

The nation’s greatest ­female tennis player will go crab fishing instead of ­attending the year’s first grand-slam tournament.

She also said any boycott of matches on the court named after her at Melbourne’s tennis centre would reflect badly on the players.

“I think that is petty if they do that and it says what’s in their heart,” she said. “I think that’s very childish — but that’s not up to me and it doesn’t affect me.”

Despite copping global criticism for her same-sex marriage stance, Court doubled down on her comments, calling gay marriage a trend and saying Australia “will pay” for its decision to allow same-sex couples to wed.

A Tennis Australia statement confirmed Court had been invited to the Australian Open but would not attend.

•  
  •  

Archived