ALL: Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Members

Black avant-garde writer-director Bill Gunn's direct-to-public television soap opera Personal Problems (written with playwright Ishmael Reed), which I first wrote about long ago, now has been fully restored (albeit still in rough video quality) and is available to watch in two parts for free on streaming courtesy of Kanopy.

You can obtain a free Kanopy subscription and watch ten films or programs per month from their very impressive collection by simply giving it your local library card information (I got a digital library card online from my local one in ten minutes) and watching it on your computer or TV/device via the Kanopy app.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I recall Soap Opera Digest talking about both shows. Star Crossed was about rival families in the auto industry and their children who fell in love ala Capitol. So this article appeared in 1984? For some reason, I recall Soap Opera Digest reporting on the shows in 1983. I think they were being primed for a September 1983 premiere.

• Members

Paul Rauch must have amassed a fortune in holding deals over the years.  It's the greatest con in Hollywood: get paid to write a treatment, get paid not to sell it elsewhere, and never actually have to produce anything.  Also, Fred Mustard Stewart sounds suspiciously fictional; although I'm sure someone will reply that he wrote for daytime for a decade.

Edited by j swift

• 1 month later...
  • Members

September 1962

Syndie Serial Shoots in N.Y

. Shooting of "The Fragile Link," TV serial aimed for the syndication market, begins Monday in New York City, Henry G . Saperstein , president of Television Personalities , announced  Skein will be produced b y VHF Productions as an half-hour across the board for adult daytime audiences. First release is set for early January. Executive Producer is Richard Rector.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Is it safe to include Castleton here now? The cast of Passions mentioned during their fan festival two summers ago that a spin off was in the works to have Colton Shires return and focus on the younger set in Castleton where Charity and Faith lived but no more info has been revealed since and I imagine they dropped the idea?

• Members

July 1964

ABC-TV's Tom Moore and Colgate evidently can't see eye to eye about spotting Colgate's new daytime serial, Time of Challenge, into the network's 3: 30 to 4 p.m. strip this fall. Colgate likes to control its program when it can and Moore isn't disposed to go along. Challenge, written by Peer Oppenheimer, would follow General Hospital. Colgate owns The Doctors, currently on NBC-TV. Some hope may be held out to Colgate: ABC-TV wants to survey the whole field of daytime product availability before locking-in the fall schedule and there's always the possibility of a change of attitude over the course of a month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I may have posted this in the old thread....

from the June 1970 Afternoon TV   :

A black soap opera was being shopped to National Education Stations. The cast was to be:

Jonah Rhodes     Bernard Ward

Jean Rhodes   Yolanda Bryant

Sergeant Vines     Milton Lane

Funky Frank, local tavern owner     Ira Rogers

Marco Rhodes     Nol Tinner

Maybelle Rhodes        Suki

• Members

Yes, this was recent at the Passions Fan Event they had 2017 in LA.

No but I recall that spinoff as well which was Harmony High (I suspect same concept as Salem High.) Reilly was on a roll back then because NBC also approached him about adapting the book “Hidden Passions,” prequel based on the soap set 20 years earlier, for primetime. So unfortunate none of these came to pass.