Paul Raven

Proposed Soaps Over The Years

Black avant-garde writer-director Bill Gunn's direct-to-public television soap opera Personal Problems (written with playwright Ishmael Reed), which I first wrote about long ago, now has been fully restored (albeit still in rough video quality) and is available to watch in two parts for free on streaming courtesy of Kanopy.

You can obtain a free Kanopy subscription and watch ten films or programs per month from their very impressive collection by simply giving it your local library card information (I got a digital library card online from my local one in ten minutes) and watching it on your computer or TV/device via the Kanopy app.

Edited by Vee

33 minutes ago, j swift said:

screenshot-66.media.tumblr.com-2018.11.04-12-41-06.png

This was news to me from 1984

I recall Soap Opera Digest talking about both shows. Star Crossed was about rival families in the auto industry and their children who fell in love ala Capitol. So this article appeared in 1984? For some reason, I recall Soap Opera Digest reporting on the shows in 1983. I think they were being primed for a September 1983 premiere.

Paul Rauch must have amassed a fortune in holding deals over the years.  It's the greatest con in Hollywood: get paid to write a treatment, get paid not to sell it elsewhere, and never actually have to produce anything.  Also, Fred Mustard Stewart sounds suspiciously fictional; although I'm sure someone will reply that he wrote for daytime for a decade.

Edited by j swift

I don’t know about writing for soaps but I recognize Fred Mustard Stewart’s name as a novelist, whose books were made into films and mini-series.  “The Mephisto Waltz,”  and “Ellis Island,” come to mind.

September 1962

Syndie Serial Shoots in N.Y

. Shooting of "The Fragile Link," TV serial aimed for the syndication market, begins Monday in New York City, Henry G . Saperstein , president of Television Personalities , announced  Skein will be produced b y VHF Productions as an half-hour across the board for adult daytime audiences. First release is set for early January. Executive Producer is Richard Rector.