Dear Mal Young

• Members

Since Mal reads the message boards here is your chance to tell him what you want from Y&R.  Characters, stories...etc....etc......

I'll start first...

End Mariah/Tessa storyline and end the triangle with Phyliss/Billy/Victoria

Less Victoria....she is on too much.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although it'll never happen, less Victoria, Billy and Nick would go a long way for me.

Use Traci. Keep Dina around (I'm still not trusting of them keeping her).

I'd love Olivia and Nina back but that doesn't seem like it'll ever happen either.

• Members

I'd love Olivia back as well.

Ask Jess Walton how many episodes she's willing to do a year. Craft a story for her and use that episode allotment up for HER story, not being a talk to for Billy and Victoria.

Let it go about Billy and Victoria. It doesn't work. It's a bad story.  

Keep Dina. 

Fix the Newman Ranch set. It's still ugly as hell. Let Nikki bulldoze it and rebuild the old one.

• Members

I would like Traci back permanently and a good story for Hillary. Please give KSJ something good when he's back in the saddle.

And thanks for keeping Y&R's tradition of doing Halloween right.  It's one of my favorite times of year, so I'm glad Y&R goes out to celebrate it. 

• Members

Since the show isn't filmed in order, find out the days Jess Walton is available and block tape all of her scenes during the days she is available then edit them into the correct episodes so that her story thread doesn't go interrupted.

Please have long term fall out from plots... previous writers would have stunts/disasters/revelations that wouldn't have long term results.. or characters never evolve.  This started during the JER reign of Days and Passions and I wish that trend would die.

Keep Dina, have Traci visit more (the actress used to work behind the scenes of Baby daddy and during that era the show would write her coming for visits numerous time during the year when she was available), and please make Lauren a power player again like she was in the 80s and 90s.  Who knew marrying her to Michael would water her down so much.

Beef up the Young characters with actors that can act... and please make Mariah less of a Cassie clone and more snarky like she was when she first came on the show.

• Members

Dear sir,

Please realize how brilliant Sharon Case, Gina Tognoni, and Camryn Grimes are. They are a gold mine. Let their characters grow and let them shine.

Continuing focusing on the Abbotts. History is a good. We'd like to see more of Tracy. She's the sounding board every canvas needs.

Personally, I'd love for Nina to return with Chance in tow. More Jill!

And what can I say, my nostalgic heart will always yearn for a Nick and Sharon reunion. Julianne Morris is a gem and if Alice can come back, why not Amy? 

Thanks for listening.

• Members

If there was ever a character that would rebuild something, down to the last detail, for his love, that is Victor Newman. It writes itself.

And, since he's feeling generous, he can rebuild Gina's too! (although I know that will really never happen!).

• Members

Oh! He does read message boards?

Well Mal, here's some suggestions for you: 

- Scrap Victoria/Billy. I know each regime likes to tease them and put them in the same orbit but stop. They can be friends and co-parent but that's where it needs to end. Don't ever pair the 2 together again. 

- The show is called The YOUNG and the Restless. It is time we started focusing on the young characters. Bring back Kyle, Chance, Tyler and Nate. Recast Summer. Focus stories around Noah, Abby, Devon, Hillary... Time to put young characters in the driver's seat. 

- Speaking of characters to be brought back, bring back the Brooks/Foster clan. It'll give Jess Walton/Jill more to do. Chucky, Jennifer, Brooks, and 2 young daughters of either Leslie or Lorie (to be the modern day interpretations of Leslie/Lorie) need to be brought back. This beloved family has been off the canvas for too long. Make Brooks a young corporate tycoon with intentions to rattle both Newman and Jabot. 

- Get rid of the Hillary Show. While I think the media concept can drive story when used correctly. Like WSPR on Guiding Light for instance. A TMZ, gossip type show is not gonna drive story. It didn't work for Restless Style. It's not working for the Hillary Show. It's gotten stale. Turn the Hillary show into a news station and make Hillary a journalist. The scandals that she covers need to be earth shattering and doing a lot of damage. I'm talking about political and business scandals. In a time where shady politics and business dealings intrigue fans, it is time the show profits off of that. 

Have Mariah be her co-anchor. Seeing as Noah once was into photography, place him over there as a camera man or director. Have Devon buy the station back and become the producer of the show that clashes with Hillary about ethics, etc. Dare I say it but bring back messy Leanna to clash with Hillary. 

- Bring back business/career driven stories with payoffs. Since about the Tuvia/Safra arc, Y&R has not had a strong business story that had a strong payoff for many of the characters. It is time that Jabot and Newman go head to head over rivaling products instead of Jack and Victor's stale ass trying to buy each other's company. Quit that. We need to see stories about products being produced and how those products are affecting the work dynamics from within. And get Beauty of Nature out of Ashley's damn office! 

- Time to give Sharon an arc that doesn't consist of her seeking affection from a man. It is time to get to the core of Sharon's mental issues. Dare I say it, but it all stems from home. Time for Sharon to seek therapy, which leads to her wanting to find her birth father, much to the chagrin of her mother, Doris. To heighten the stakes and tie her dad to Y&R's past, make her father pan out to be an old rival of Victor's, Michael Scott. It'll explore a rich part of Y&R past and put Victor/Michael at odds once again over Sharon. Victor, once being the father figure Sharon needed v. Michael, her birth father trying to make things right with the daughter he never knew of while trying to destroy his old rival, who cost him the love of his life (Julia, Victor's first wife). 

- Keep Tracy as others have suggested. She is the character that she show needs to groom to be the next matriarch, the heart and soul of the show. 

- Either write for characters like Ashley and Neil or let them go. Honestly, I'd keep both and bring back viable pairing from their past. Since the show is not gonna reach and make amends with Victoria Rowell (thus causing the long awaited return of Dru), I'd bring back Neil's next best pairing, which was Leslie. As aforementioned, with politics being a hot topic, I'd have Leslie run for District Attorney against Michael and Christine, which becomes a bloodbath as scandals from all their past come to the forefront as all 3 early want the seat. It'd have their 3 significant others (Paul/Lauren/Neil) involved as well. Dare I say it, but a Paul/Lauren affair ought to emerge (due to the stress of the election) from this story and it results in Leslie using it capture the seat. 

• Members

Dear Mal Young:

It would be wise to remember the rich pool of talent among many of the women in your cast.

Ashley, Dina, Hilary, Sharon, Mariah, even the few visits that Traci has made to GC- the actors behind these roles have put in some stellar performances.

Please don't marginalize them. 

Also, since you've decided to bring Brash and Sassy back under the Newman Enterprises umbrella, can you please give Fenmore's its independence again?  Perhaps Fenmore's begins to struggle and Ashley convinces Jack that the risk is too great or perhaps Lauren comes up with the financing necessary to bring Fenmore's completely back in her hands.

At the very least, we should see Jill at the helm of Chancellor Industries.  Not to see the character that has the most enduring history on Y&R is a disservice to long-time fans.

Surely, some type of schedule can be worked out where we see Jill in an active storyline on a regular basis.

Although I do appreciate that everyone is engaged in some type of life's work (and not just aimlessly wandering coffee houses and bars, like in the past), I still do not see many stories with depth for the 20-30somethings.

Noah's story still seems hinged on his father's storyline and I'm afraid I don't see a lot of romantic chemistry with his current partner. I think the actor plays Noah with sensitivity and he has great chemistry with just about everyone else. Please choose wisely when casting his next onscreen romantic partnership.

You may also want to consider bringing Fen back, even for brief storyline arcs.  I find it strange that Scott and Fen haven't had an onscreen reunion. Also, Mariah might need a friend if her relationship goes asunder as it appears to be doing these days.

Lily is a character that I've been indifferent to in the past but I have to say, I find her more interesting away from Cane. Cane, by the way, has been more interesting as a grey character, verging on almost villainous. He has always been better as a bit of a scheming hustler.

Finally,

When you mentioned that you had good things in store for Devon and Neil, I plan to hold you to your word.  I hope that this is not just about Hamilton-Winters but you also plan to expound on their personal lives. All I really ask is that the next romantic partner for Neil be age appropriate and that he and Devon each have their own pairings, not with the same woman. 

Two last post-scripts

I think you could be doing more with some of your minor characters. They need not 'eat the show', but flesh them out a bit more if you're going to have them show up onscreen.

I actually like Ravi but it's obvious that he is not going to be a long-term match with Ashley, so why not put him as part of a group of friends with the 20-30 something set (Noah, Mariah, Devon, etc)?

We should see more casually fun times from this group, like real-life 20/30 something do.

Maybe give us a sneak peek of some of Ravi's home life on occasion (not too much, not all the time). It's a bit unbelievable to have an Indian-American character  on but never see any of his family.  A brief visit with his parents, perhaps a visit from a sibling who checks up on him (and disapproves of his relationship with Ashley). Shenaz Treasurywala would make for a great older sister for Ravi. Perhaps she even gets a job as lead chemist at Jabot's rival, Brash and Sassy.  If you're going to have characters like Ravi and Jordan, please don't have them there just for 'color', utilize them but again, they need not 'eat the show'. 

I've got lots of ideas for these characters, so DM me okay?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Dear Mal, 

Slow your roll. Everything doesn't need to be so rushed and UpChuck-y. You keep missing beats that effect the stories.

Dina suddenly walking around like weird zombie in scenes suddenly is jarring. Please don't stick her with Alzheimer's.  Let it be either a result of the stroke or something Graham had set into motion (poisoning in the cream/lotion she uses, maybe a mental issue that has been festering all these years since she left her family that is now causing her actions--guilt/depression...).  Please keep MA around.

Traci... Traci needs to be more involved, as she has always been the strength and heart of the Abbott family.  Let's see her dealing with Dina. Let's see her lash out.Tell her mother the reason for a lot of her issues with eating,dieting were the result of never feeling good enough because her mother abandoned her so young.  Let's see Traci supporting Ashley as her world has once again been affected by secrets from the past.

Paul/ Lauren/Michael... As Scott's story becomes more precarious, Lauren leans on Paul for support. While Michael is busily dealing with Nicholas'legal issues, Lauren turns to Paul for more.

Noah's world spirals and he leaves town to run another Underground.  He returns three months later in the form of Kevin Schmidt. He's married to a woman he met elsewhere, and she has ties to a once prominent GC family. <coughs> Brooks<coughs>.

When Mariah begins to reveal her truth, the last person she expected to be supportive ends up being her staunchest defender. Hillary stands up for Mariah, both on the Hillary Hour . Tessa leaves town with her hooker sister Crystal, never to be heard from again. Mariah eventually finds love again.

Devon also supports Mariah's truth, although he wishes she had told him sooner.  

Ravi continues to stand by Ashley's side, and Olivia returns to help discover what is going on with Dina. Ravi is not happy with Neil's sudden interest in Ashley's well-being. Especially after he learns they were involved.

Chelsea moves to Paris. No one notices.

When Sharon shows her support of Nicholas in the Underground, Scoot throws a tantrum and has h8 sex with Abby, who realizes Zack is a turd.

Victoriagoes out of town on business and returns in the form of  _________  (anyone that combs their hair and tries).   Her firing of Billy causes the end of any chanceof ANY future romance between the two. Phyllis kicks Billy to the curb. He falls into bed with Lily, which pushes Cane over the edge. Juliet is the first person he comes into contact with. Their confrontation causes a fall. The baby doesn't make it. She starts banging Jordan.  When she is revealed to be the one tha poisoned "the reliquary, I mean the mask to get back at Victoria, she goes to jail.

Kyle Abbott arrives in town and  has a secret. He and his older brother Keemo have gone into business together and have a business that both Jabot and NE want. Jack let go of half of his investment in Fenmore's

Jill fires Cane and disowns him. She also ditches Colin and starts to pursue Jack, and resurrects her past rivalry with Nikki.

Phyllis gets involved with a man that actually can handle her and doesn't take any of her crap.

Just suggestions, Mr. Young

Slick Jones

• Members

Please write for Devon & Neil.

Bring back Dru she's needed in the worse way.

Recast Lily, I don't care what your focus group say about CK. She's terrible as Lily. 

I like Cane but if he stuck with CKLily, get rid of him too.

Victoria needs to be recast, VH is always be terrible. & JT doesn't need a kid my Victoria.

Get rid of Chelsea 

• Members

Dear Mal Young,

------What I Want From Y&R Is!!------

1. Get a way better Y&R opening credits with brand new theme music(getting rid of the Nadia Theme Music that show has been using every since the Y&R premiered on CBS on March 26, 1973 until this day or  currently/presently)that with a better payoff  that will set Y&R on fire and one that fits the show and get rid Of the current one that looks like a cross between a children's or sci-fi or detective tv show's Opening Credits and not that of a soap opera!!

2. Fire The Entire Writing and Script Teams On Y&R and Get brand new teams that can write and script their asses off(A combination of young and older people outside of the soap opera industry)or Better yet hire Wendy Riche(Former General Hospital Executive Producer)and Josh Griffith(Former Creative Consultant and Breakdown Writer and Writer and Producer Of Y&R), Wendy Riche Who is a fan Of Y&R and Josh Griffith who been on Y&R for decades and worked with the Late Bill Bell and know just about everybody On Y&R and would also be really good to turn our Y&R and make it the powerhouse, gold standard and phenomenal and spectacularly sensational soap opera again like it was in the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's and can be that way again.

3. It's time to give The Abbott House, The Newman Ranch, Michael Baldwin's Apartment, Jabot, Newman Enterprises, Genoa City Police Department, Genoa City Memorial Hospital, A brand new millennium, 21st century look and get rid of those awful dark pain colors and pain their new looks in lighter colors and makeover them like their real homes and businesses and the people in GC live and works there.

4. It's time to get rid of Genoa City Athletic Club, Crimson Lights Coffee House and get A lot Of Real businesses, restaurants, real gym/workout gym, steam room, fast food places, grocery stores, shopping malls and make Genoa City look like real cities and towns and states in the United States.

5. Give all of the Y&R's male and female characters a brand new millennium, 21st century makeover, complete with(hairstyles, clothes, haircuts, hair colors, makeups, etc.)make them look like there on a number #1 soap opera and Fire the Y&R's Hair, Make-Up, Clothing, Fashion, Wardrobe People and Get brand new ones that will make the entire Y&R Cast looks better than the people on soap operas, primetime tv, reality shows, TV Shows, Movies/motion picture films.

6. Bring back the Love, Love Stories, Romance, Passion, Seduction, Intimacy, steam, heat, risqué sex, racy sex, kinky sex, foreplay, sex games, strip poker, scantily clad men and women, real-family conversations with substance and depth to them, real family conversations talking about anything and everything under the sun, cliffhangers every single day(Monday through Friday), action, real dramas, thrilling, exciting, intriguing, riveting, taking risks, taking chances, adventure, suspense, edge of your seat, storylines with a bigger payoff and with a bang and a explosive and soooo good resolution that the Late Bill Bell will be very happy and excited about.

7. Bring Back The Multiple Storyline Model Of Storytelling meaning having on Y&R(3, 4 5, 6 or more)storylines for us fans/TV viewers to choose from, like a menu of choices flowing smoothly from from 1 storyline to another and to another that gets us fans/tv viewers hooked and we can follow along and glued to out TV's again.

8. Add more Places for the Y&R male and female characters to hang out at like they do on The Bold and the Beautiful, General Hospital and Days Of Our Lives.

9. Stop letting Y&R Characters Like: Victor Newman, Nikki Newman, Nick Newman, Victoria Newman, Faith Newman, Noah Newman, Jack Abbott, Phyllis Summers, Billy Abbott, Hilary Curtis, Chelsea Lawson Newman, Paul Williams and other GC citizens/residents, All get away with their crimes or their bad behaviors and disrespect with not being severely punished or be grounded or have allowances taken away or being spanked or whooped or go to jail or go to a program and not get away with their bad behaviors and crimes and don't sweep them under the rug and keep talking about incidents and own them and take responsibly for those incidents and make up for those incidents.

10. Finish storylines for all of your Y&R male and female characters and see them all the way through to the very end and resolved those storylines in 4 or 5 months before you go to brand new storylines and Quit dragging storylines out to almost a years or 2 years.

11. Make The Abbott and Newman Families look and act and live and dress and run their businesses and homes and lifestyles like real rich families like you see on such popular TV shows such as: Dallas, Knots Landing, Dynasty, The Colbys, Falcon Crest, Empire, Dynasty Reboot, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills 90210, Beverly Hills 90210 Reboot, Melrose Place Reboot, Gossip Girl, The OC, Tyler Perry's: The Have and The Have Nots, Tyler Perry's: If Loving You Is Wrong, Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, MTV's Laguna Beach, MTV's The Hills and All Others, Etc.

12. Bring back these past Y&R Characters for good to stay permanently: Ronan Malloy, Chance Chancellor, Nina Webster, Jill Fenmore Atkinson, Detective Dylan McAvoy(Steve Burton after he's gets finish with his 8 month storyline arc on General Hospital in June 2018), Adam Newman(Recast with Actor Trevor St. John), Brad Carlton(Recast with Actor Tom Eplin), John Abbott(Jerry Douglas, Bring his Y&R character back from the dead for real and not a ghost and reverse his death), Cassie Newman(Camryn Grimes, Bring her Y&R character back from the dead for real and not as a ghost and reverse her death), Ryan McNeil(Recast with Actor Cameron Mathison, bring his Y&R character back from the dead for real and not as a ghost and reverse his death), Delia Abbott(Sophie Pollono and Bring her Y&R character back from the dead for real and not as a ghost and reverse her death), Tucker McCall(Recast with Actor Sebastian Roche), Skye Lockhart Newman(Laura Stone and Bring her Y&R character back from the dead and not as a ghost and reverse her death), Sage Warner Bingham Newman(Kelly Sullivan, Bring her Y&R character back from the dead for real and not as a ghost and reverse her death), Joe Clark(Scott Elrod), Avery Bailey Clark(Jessica Collins), Kyle Abbott(Recast with Dylan Bruce from As The World Turns/Orphan Black), Fenmore Baldwin(With Ex- General Hospital Actor Robert Palmer Watkins), Mari Jo Mason(Diana Barton).

13. Finally give Jill Fenmore Atkinson, Michael Baldwin and Lauren Fenmore Baldwin bigger storylines and several storylines with substance and depth to them to show off their awesome and spectacularly sensational talents and acting abilities and never ever get them whittling away on the backburner for years never ever again and fully and completely put them back in Genoa City society again and have them interacting with every single last people that they know in Genoa City and not never ever have them interacting with the limited number of people that they always interacting with never ever again.

14. Put Joe Clark and Jill Fenmore Atkinson together and who has real chemistry and could take Genoa City by storm and finally Joe can be the man of Jill's dreams and Let Colin Atkinson go back to Australia forever and never ever come back to Genoa City never ever again.

15. Put Detective Dylan McAvoy and Avery Bailey Clark back together and give their relationship a real shot this time and Let Dylan McAvoy and Adam Newman go into businesses together(either be private investigators or bartenders or something)and run Genoa City like the awesome, cool badasses they are and really show Genoa City whose Boss. 

16. Recast Victoria Newman(Amelia Heinle isn't working out in the role and get somebody who looks more like B&B's Kate Logan-Played by former Y&R actress Heather Tom and can act) and Recast Abby Newman(who is also being played by an actress that can't act Melissa Ordway and Replace her with Actress Alicia Leigh Willis who Played Courtney Matthews on General Hospital and Alli Fowler On Another World), Recast Y&R Charlie and Maddie Ashby(with Actors and Actress they can portray them properly and properly aged and look like their Cane and Lily's twins and don't look way older than Cane and Lily Ashby their parents).

17. End The Character Assassinations On All Of Your Y&R Male and Female Characters  and Write them true to their characters and things their do and say and act and behave and not out of character and Respect The Histories Y&R and All Of It's Y&R Male and Female characters and Use Their histories in interesting and awesome and cool ways in their storylines to remind people who are fans/TV Viewers of Y&R and even new fans/TV viewers all of Y&R male and female characters past and present actions and behaviors and crimes. 

18. Get Rid of these annoying and evil and lowdown Y&R Characters for good: Devon Hamilton, Hilary Curtis, Juliet Helton, Zack Stinnett, Graham Bloodworth Davis, Jordan Wilde, Ravi Shapur, Crystal, Tessa Porter

Archived