Sign in to follow this  
cct

The Harvey Weinstein Scandal

11 hours ago, Khan said:

True.  However, the fact that it's happening within this particular industry hits me hard, because it's the one industry I've always wanted to be a part of.  

I don't think I've ever truly wanted to be a part of the  industry, I always just wanted my writing to be seen/performed on a larger scale than just community theater (no offense, community theater is lovely but very small).

I figured out early on when my mostly White male professors were telling me in Grad School that I had to become absorbed in the specifics of the entertainment industry in order to gain entry, that it was easier said (by them) than done (by me). 

As a Black woman there were a lot of obstacles to my gaining entry, so that was the part of the advice that always seemed particularly dubious to me. 

There were a few times where I experienced first-hand how men in the industry took their privilege for granted. I knew very early on that I would not be allowed to network in the same way my male colleagues networked when an invitation to discuss career opportunities would often lead to another invitation that sounded a lot like a date. A follow up phone call might lead to the person discussing social, rather than professional matters.

I guess, in a way, I was fortunate to figure out early on that I would always be treated differently and, in many ways "put upon" because of my minority status.  I just hoped that my work would somehow find the right people, even if it was a small one.

Otherwise, I truly wanted nothing to do with the industry. 

There is proof though, that the 'naming and shaming' is starting to expand outside Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

John Besh restaurants fostered culture of sexual harassment, 25 women say

9 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Heather Kerr is another actress (former actress) who has come forward about Harvey. I was wondering if I'd seen her before, and it turns out she played a young Eunice on Mama's Family:

I'm always amazed by her performance in this episode.  To me, it's almost eerie how she channels Carol Burnett's take on Eunice.