Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think I've ever truly wanted to be a part of the  industry, I always just wanted my writing to be seen/performed on a larger scale than just community theater (no offense, community theater is lovely but very small).

I figured out early on when my mostly White male professors were telling me in Grad School that I had to become absorbed in the specifics of the entertainment industry in order to gain entry, that it was easier said (by them) than done (by me). 

As a Black woman there were a lot of obstacles to my gaining entry, so that was the part of the advice that always seemed particularly dubious to me. 

There were a few times where I experienced first-hand how men in the industry took their privilege for granted. I knew very early on that I would not be allowed to network in the same way my male colleagues networked when an invitation to discuss career opportunities would often lead to another invitation that sounded a lot like a date. A follow up phone call might lead to the person discussing social, rather than professional matters.

I guess, in a way, I was fortunate to figure out early on that I would always be treated differently and, in many ways "put upon" because of my minority status.  I just hoped that my work would somehow find the right people, even if it was a small one.

Otherwise, I truly wanted nothing to do with the industry. 

There is proof though, that the 'naming and shaming' is starting to expand outside Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

John Besh restaurants fostered culture of sexual harassment, 25 women say

• Members

So after blaming GOD for all of his sexual predatory behavior problems and the NYT reveal of a 32million dollar settlement this past January that Fox paid on O”Reilly’s behalf before resigning him, O’Reillys agency UTA drops him. 

http://deadline.com/2017/10/bill-oreilly-dropped-uta-32-million-settlement-reveal-1202193924/

• Members

Looks like Lisa Bloom was in very deep with the Weinstein cover-up, to the point of weaseling info out of Ronan Farrow...and then conveniently enough after this was when NBC started trying to stop the story. 

It sounds like she really crossed the wrong people. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lisa-bloom-has-files-on-rose-mcgowans-history-inside-her-scorched-earth-crusade-for-harvey-weinstein

• Members

Yes. Here is a woman who should truly know better given who her mother is and her education. Still, we all know that women have been socialized to go along with some of this bad behavior.  A lot of misogynistic thinking was drummed into my head as a kid, it's taken me forever to root it out. So I have some sympathy for other women who swallow the koolaid, but not a woman like this. Now way in hell.

• Members

All this has led to some of the biggest scandals in Swedish entertainment industry ever.

One of the most popular tv-personalities here, a man who has been the host of a home improvement show for over 20 years on tv4, Sweden's biggest commercial channel, has been accused of sexual harassment, sexism, racism and homophobia by former co-workers, both male and female. Rumours about this has been floating around for a few years, but now it has exploded. What makes the scandal even bigger is that his bosses have been aware of the accusations  against him for several years, the first complaint dates back to 2008, but they have done nothing to intervene. Even the production company behind his show wanted to have him replaced, but the hierarchy at tv4 refused, because the show was popular and brought in huge amounts of advertising money to the channel. Now he has been fired, but the people higher up are still clinging to their positions. But there are more and more calls for them to resign or get fired as well.

Another popular tv personality, on SVT, our public broadcaster, has also been accused of sexual harassment and the police have started an investigation. He denies everything and his program will remain on air for now, but depending on how the police inquiry goes his show could be taken off the air too.

And it's not confined to the entertainment industry. One woman, who held a high position in the Swedish Football Association, revealed earlier this week that on numerous occasions she had received dick-pics from some former Swedish football players who had played for the Swedish national team. She revealed that when she had reported it she had been advised not to take it any further, because it would cause trouble.

• Members

Not to mention the Penn State scandal. All the stories that have come out have made me cry. All the self-loathing, shame and recrimination...😢

Does anyone think that a sex abuser can honestly be rehabilitated? I'm not being facetious, just curious as to what others think. I don't think it can be done. The scariest thing is that so many predators are hiding in plain sight and look so "normal".

• Members

The details of what he did not only to her but Daryl Hannah are somehow still shocking - Sciorra was a major up and coming star when he raped her. It makes you wonder just how many female stars of the '90s Harvey and men like him wiped out. I guess I should be less naive.