Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When it comes to music, I rarely ever "know" who these artists I listen to are, being I usually stick to the indie scene. I've listened to Death Cab for Cutie since 2004/5, but if you showed me a picture of the lead singer, whose name I don't even know without looking it up, I'd have no idea who he is. So with Ryan Adams, whose music can be beautiful and transcendent, I had no idea whatsoever of the person he is, or what people thought of him. This is an eye opener. Albert Hammond, Jr. is another favourite mine and to read their ugly history together is unsettling. Good on Mandy Moore for stepping up and backing up the claims. It goes to show that this is barely the beginning of the work that needs to be done.

• Members

I was a big fan of Ryan’s first solo record when I was in college, but shortly thereafter, all these stories came out about how much of a toxic megalomaniac he was (and his substance abuse issues), going back to when he was in the band Whiskeytown in the ‘90s. I was actually somewhat surprised Mandy Moore hooked up with him at the time, as she seemed savvier than that. At a concert, when some heckler started calling out Bryan Adams songs, Ryan stopped playing and went on such an unhinged, endless rant that attendees left in droves.

He’s a big presence in Meet Me in the Bathroom, and he seemed like this charismatic self-promoter who’d leave a path of destruction in his wake. A lot of it dealing with drugs.

Edited by Faulkner